New Member Coming out of the Woodwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Just a quick hello - I found this website a couple of days ago and it looked like my kind of place. I am William, live in Cary, originally from Winston-Salem. I am a hobbyist woodworker, with two cars that live in my garage when it isn't a workshop. But when the cars move out, the tools roll out from the wall, and lots of sawdust follows.

My father had a workshop in Winston where he spent much of his time. I started making things there, then went without a place to put any tools for many years. When I moved to Cary in '03, the oversize detached garage was the thing that sold me on the house. The wife says we will have to get a larger house soon, though, if I keep building stuff to go inside.

I am a telephone technician by day, and usually keep a project or two going for the evenings. If I ever get to retire, I hope to have more time to devote to woodworking.

I started a blog with some pics of a few of the things I have made if anyone would like to see: burtonworkshop.wordpress.com

I have really enjoyed poking around the site and looking at some of the things being discussed here. I hope to learn from the folks here, and perhaps contribute myself sometime.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the family. Many good WWers and friends in the Cary area. I am sure you will fit right in.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hey Bill - welcome to NC Woodworker! That's a great blog that you created, and some fantastic projects that you've built. Can't wait to see some of your upcoming projects.

Scott

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site neighbor!

Glad you joined us and look forward to your future posts and more pics of your great work.

Wayne

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Bill! We're glad to have you. We have our annual picnic in less than 2 weeks. Think you can make it?

You say you're a hobbyist woodworker???? The first piece you made in your blog is absolutely amazing! WOW!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Bill. Thanks for the link to your blog; it was well worth the visit. You do good work. :icon_thum

Bill

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Welcome Bill. You got a lot beautiful work there and I'm also looking for a slant front or secretary (Federal). BTW, I've done one but I have a friend in Va. who spent at least 5 years on his hayrake.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Bill,

It looks like you have already started contributing to the site by pointing people to your blog. That is some fine furniture you have built. It looks like the cars move out of the garage frequently.

Steve

W Burton

New User
Bill
I noticed the picnic coming up and appreciate the invite. I will be on vacation and unable to make it. I will hope to make another event in the future. And thanks for the comment. Yes I just do this for fun. It's my creative outlet. Plus I am way too slow to make a living doing this.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I noticed the picnic coming up and appreciate the invite. I will be on vacation and unable to make it. I will hope to make another event in the future. And thanks for the comment. Yes I just do this for fun. It's my creative outlet. Plus I am way too slow to make a living doing this.

Bill doing it for a living would take a LOT of the fun out of it.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Bill doing it for a living would take a LOT of the fun out of it.

That is so true. Right after college, I taught skiing in the NC mountains for a winter. I never would have thought that skiing would become WORK, but it did after a couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors