New Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Hey y'all, I finally got my hands on a lathe!! I picked up a Rikon 71-105 from Woodcraft in mathews while they were having a sale. I am still playing and seeing what chisels I need to get. I have a 3/8" and 1" spindle gouge so far and going to get a parting tool soon. Right now all I've done is a couple of pens and turning scrap pieces to get used to what the tools do. Thank you for looking.

attachment.php

Attachments

• pens2.jpg
    pens2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 239

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Boomer, get a skew and practice, practice, practice! Once you get the hang of the skew, all other gouges are easy to master.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
That's awesome man. Those pens look great. Like Raymond said, definitely get a skew. It's a versatile tool that will teach you a lot of good techniques. I'd recommend after getting comfortable with traditional tools, get a couple carbide tools as well. They work well turning acrylics for pens and some other materials. I use mine in conjunction with my gouges for various purposes. NCWW member here makes and sells them for great prices: https://www.ncwoodturningtools.com/shop

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Very nice Boomer, Raymond and James had some good advice, all I'd add is sharp tools help too.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Turning is a vortex that pulls you in deeper and deeper. Enjoy the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS