New Lathe Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I needed a lathe stand long enough to accommodate the bed extension on my Delta Midi so I made one based on the plans from Shop Notes January 2003 Issue 67. I made a few modifications to the original plans. I made it a little lower, a little longer, and added 4 more drawers. Three drawers hold lathe chisels and the other 4 are for lathe accessories, supplies, etc. Plus there are two large shelves for woods, etc. It is rock solid and heavy, since there is almost three full sheets of MDF in it.

DSC05665.JPG

DSC05667.JPG

I just had to try it out today after I finished it so I made this pen. The wood is from a tobacco stick my Grandfather made app. 80 years ago.

DSC05670.JPG

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice job dolan!:eusa_clap make sure you leave a couple of thos drawers open when you turn a big bowl.;-) it helps with the dust collection!:rolf: keeps it all corraled so to speak!:roll:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Wow, a beautiful stand ... looks better than some furniture!

I have to agree with Mike though, the lathe would appear to be set too far away from the user. Did it feel awkward when you made the pen?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Dolan that is nothing less than awesome! Love all the drawers and especially the fact you used full extension ball bearing slides.

Speaking of lathes, where is the good will lathe? Last I heard I thought you had it but it appears you have gone out and gotten a nice set up.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Hold up guys.....the lathe is not centered on the stand. It sets 2" from center toward the front edge of the stand. And it works just great for me. I don't have to lean in to the lathe or bend over slightly as I did on my other stand that came with the lathe.

I set the lathe on the stand and pretended to use it to determine the location before I drilled the holes to mount it. I put a set of 3/4" risers under the lathe when I mounted it. I did this for two reasons...if I was wrong in the height I figured for the lathe I can lower it by 3/4" and it gives a little clearance under the motor where a lot of chips collect so they can be easily cleared out.

4yanks

New User
Willie
Dolan,

That is bad to the bone. I love the addition of the extra drawers. The fit and finish look awesome.

T

toolferone

Hey, I recognize that lathe, but it looks way better sitting on that great looking stand!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dolan, the stand is flawless:icon_thum
I think you got the cabinet stuff down pat.
I've was lucky enough to see Dolan's kitchen cabinets a while back and they are beautiful. He maximizes every inch of space, drawers within drawers . . . the works. :eusa_thin Have you posted pix of them????

Roger

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Roger thanks for the kind words. I wish the lathe stand was flawless as you said but I was able to cover up most of the mistakes.:lol::lol: And there are a few things I would do different if I was to make it again...but I hope I don't have to. :roll:

Yes there are some photos of the kitchen cabinets in my gallery.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Dolan that is nothing less than awesome! Love all the drawers and especially the fact you used full extension ball bearing slides.

Speaking of lathes, where is the good will lathe? Last I heard I thought you had it but it appears you have gone out and gotten a nice set up.

Travis, I passed the GW lathe on in August after I got my own.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
When I read the title I was looking for a simple stand....WRONG!!!

That's pretty work, Dolan. Give you the hieght you need, the storage space and the weight. Very nice work! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

photog

New User
Dan
Dolan,

Your stand is beautiful and nicely upgraded the lathe with practical storage. If you don’t mind, I’d like to take this opportunity to show you mine, which is not quite as refined as yours, but is a definite improvement over the original stock stand. I have the HF lathe which I acquired as a startup machine to get my feet wet in turning. What I did that is a little different is add dust collection. A cowl with a 4” hose connection was added in back and on top of the table surface. It does not suck chips out of mid air, but what it does do is clear the table surface of accumulated sawdust. Unfortunately the cowl was added after these photos were taken, but the concept works well. Something to think about.

The original stand

OriginalLathe.jpg

LatheStand.jpg

OpenDoors.jpg

garymuto

New User
Gary
Nice lathe stands to both of you. I have plans for a HF lathe as well. Hadn't plan on making my own stand, but I will have to rethink that.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dan, only you can make a HF lathe look hot! Great pics, and a very nice stand. Did it adjust the height of the lathe. I had to shim mine with a couple of tubasixes to get it at the right height for me.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS