New Joint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
So I'm making a puzzle which has a frame and some acrylic panels slotted into grooves .100 inside the edge. Rather than do a triple miter joint (which is a PITA since you have six angles of cumulative error), I came up with this. It's a hybrid between a miter joint and a rabbit/shoulder. Very strong, and still hides any grooves you decide to make for panels.

Anyway, I thought I'd post it since it seems like a pretty good solution for boxes, and should work at any scale. If no one's seen it before, guess I'll name it the "Fuller" joint :D

CIMG3670.JPG

M

McRabbet

It is a handsome joint and catchy title (must be named some guy for "Eric Fuller":wink_smil), but I would assume it would need to be glues to form the cube corner -- if it is part of a puzzle and unglued, then how would it stay together? BTW, nice wood and nice crisp cuts.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
This joint looks closely akin to what is used in a mining system called square set bracing developed by Philippe Diedesheimer in the early 1860s at Virginia City, NV.
http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi251.htm
The link doesn't show the joint but the sytem did use one.
I guess it proves great minds think alike even if they are almost 150 years apart. I think it'd be fine to call it a Fuller Joint, though.

Glennbear

Glenn
Nicely done Eric, I recently read an article about traditional Japanese intricate joinery and your joint reminded me of that article. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors