New Inca band saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I just recently located and purchase an Inca 20" band saw. Been lusting for one of these for some time now. Should have it within a week and then I am done buying equipment - at least thats what I'm telling myself. The Inca is a three wheel saw with a deep throat that will be used for curved work as I have a 1 1/4" carbine blade on the large band saw and changing the blade is a real PITA! I am currently using a Delta 16", also a three wheeler, and have been very pleased with. I will be posting it for sale in the classifieds as soon as the Inca is delivered.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some of the former reviews on 3 wheeled band saws here showed concerns with blades breaking due to the short radius of the 3 wheels. The people using them said they didn't have as much trouble if they stayed with 1/4" blades as they were more amenable to the flex.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
I had a love/hate relationship with my 3 wheeler. It was my fathers first band saw and many, many, years later, it was my first band saw too. I completely rebuilt it and improved upon some lacking features. I still have it in perfect working condition in fact. I did however get tired of keeping the band saw blade manufacturers in business. 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" blades...............superflex, flex back, mangate, custom lenox at .030" kerf.................bearing guides (no contact), custom urethane tires, etc, etc, etc. It was redundant...........like using a plastic hammer to hammer 16 penny nails. Sure it'll do the job but you're going to buy a new hammer once a week.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I have had just the opposite experience with the Delta three wheeler. Nothing but good service and have never broken a blade. I use 3 tip industrial quality 1/4" blades and get excellant results. I understand the theory of the small radius of the wheels causing the blades to stress and break. This is especially true with wider blades but doesn't seem to effect 1/4" and smaller. I always release the tension on the blade when not in use and replaced the blade guides to ceramic for cooler running. Anyway. thats why I have the larger 24" saw. In defense of the new three wheeler; IT IS AN INCA!

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I'm also in the camp that does not particularly favor three wheel bandsaws. but the fact is, and the only one that matters is, if you are happy with your purchase and your purchase performs to your satisfaction, then I am happy for you, too. Nothing much else matters aside from that simple truth. :)

We are not a single homogenous entity and, as such, we have many varied ideas as to what best suits our particular niche in this hobby. Ultimately, I'm all for us having multiple options.

So, a belated congratulations on your new purchase!

PS -- It is not so much the width of a blade, per se, that influences blade breakage, but rather the thickness of the band. Thinner banded blades are much less prone to breakage when making a narrow radius turn than are thicker bands. It just so happens, however, that wider blades are often thicker as well, hence the apparent correlation.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
..... It just so happens, however, that wider blades are often thicker as well, hence the apparent correlation.

The correlation is not apparent, it is there. However, there does appear to be an apparent *causation*. I couldn't help myself. :)

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Congrats on the new iron. I also have been lusting after that same machine for a while, just to have another machine to use smaller blades. Real PITA changing blades on by Laguna 18" machine. Please share a pic when it lands.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
The saw is bought and paid for. It came from Asheville and was delivered to a friend of mine in Tryon. He makes frequent trips to Myrtle Beach and will deliver to me soon. I have just picked up a 20" disc sander which should be delivered in the next few days. I had one and sold it - big mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors