New House, New Projects - Built-in Bookshelves

hoodoo

Roger
Senior User
Wife and I decided it was time to get a bigger place. A new house means new projects. First one was to turn the formal sitting room into a sorta library. Thus the built-ins.

Room before:
IMG_20200910_120842.jpg

Room after:
IMG_20210120_154650.jpg

EDIT:
Added link to more pics:
Built-ins

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Rodger - nicely done.
Any comments on the build, and would you do anything differently?
What were your materials and finish choices?
How did you 'handle' the 'fit between the walls' on the base cabinet and the 'counter-top'?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nice work!

Do you have cutouts inside the lower cabinets, for access to the power outlets?

hoodoo

Roger
Senior User
Rodger - nicely done.
Any comments on the build, and would you do anything differently?
What were your materials and finish choices?
How did you 'handle' the 'fit between the walls' on the base cabinet and the 'counter-top'?

I think the cabinets and doors are pretty standard. 3/4 plywood cabinets with 1x3 face frame and shaker doors.

The shelves are split into three main pieces, two end bays completed using dados. They are connected to the center stile via the shelves using pocket holes.

All painted white by my wife (I'm not a painter).

The countertop is 2x10's stained her color of choice and lucky cut to the right length first try.

The whole thing is just shy of 12' wide and ~25"ish deep.

Definitely the largest project I have tackled.

Not sure how to answer your question "How did you 'handle' the 'fit between the walls' on the base cabinet and the 'counter-top'?" I made sure to attach the countertop to the cabinets first, then measure the face frame to fit. If I didn't answer that correctly, let me know.

As far as what I would do differently? Just think through the process more thoroughly. My mom asked me during the build if I made any mistakes. I told her I don't know because I'm making it up as I go. I had a good vision and a rough design in Sketchup. Then I just went with "I'll deal with it when I get there" attitude. It worked out in the end but I think I will make sure the next project is more thought out before starting.

Link to more pics:
Built-ins

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Nice modification. Looks like it always was a part of the home. Well done !

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS