New Grinder Gloat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Grizzly 10" Wet Grinder
I haven't bought a tool in a while and I was getting sad. Wife caught me looking at it online and told me if I needed it get it! And now I'm happy again. I guess all the brownie points I have been banking finally paid off! :D
IMG_20140305_183947.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Grizzly 10" Wet Grinder
I haven't bought a tool in a while and I was getting sad. Wife caught me looking at it online and told me if I needed it get it! And now I'm happy again. I guess all the brownie points I have been banking finally paid off! :D

Have a buddy drop a few big logs off into the front yard. Next thing you know the wife is telling you to get a sawmill :D

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Initial reviews of the Grizzly 10" Wet Grinder:
Pros:
-Good Price
-Makes quick work of sharpening
-Great Base for a range of sharpening
-Tormex accessories are reported to fit

Cons:
- Wheel not true to the rest (this is frustrating but correctable)
- Straight Edge jig straight stinks, doesn't hold tools straight and has too much play in it.
- Honing Wheel is poor quality (this is not too much a problem though as it really doesn't affect honing from what I have found)
- Based off of the provided jig, I won't buy anymore from Grizzly
- Water trough does not capture water well when grinding

Things I think you should get (I am working on getting some myself) to go along with it: [In order of importance]
- Tormex Diamond Truing Jig (whala, Con #1 is gone)
- a wheel dressing stone
- Tormex Straight jig
- Tormex Angle Guide
- all required jigs should be Tormex

In summary, this is a winning purchase. I was able to compensate for the problems with the wheel not being true. I plan on making some modifications to the water trough to better catch the water off of the wheel. By the time I would have paid for the Tormex, I can buy what I have and every jig I would need and still have room left over and still accomplish the same. I will be getting some Tormex accessories shortly. Their jigs are expensive, but after research I am quite certain it will be worth it for accuracy. Right now, I have done enough grinding to pay for a lot of my purchase. I've done 10 chisels (@ $5 to $7 per at local rates) and 7 plane irons (@ $5 to $10 per at local rates) so I am roughly at 50% of cost of the item. I must say, these things are SHARP now. Looking forward to getting it trued up and being able to dress the wheel to 220 or 1000 grit. Once I get my Tormex Jigs I will write a more comprehensive review with tips and tricks.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I had the same complaint with the Grizzly straight edge jig (I have the same grinder, I got it on sale for $149 a while back). I got the tormek diamond truing jig, but it doesn't compensate for the Grizzly straight edge jig not holding things square. I am very interested on your feedback once you get the Tormek straight edge jig.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Saw a tip some time back. Poster had connected a two liter bottle, via a piece of tubing to water trough. When he needed to use sharpener, he elevated 2 liter so water ran in to trough. When he was through, he dropped 2 liter below trough, so water ran back into bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS