New Garage Shop in Knightdale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Hi all,

I recently moved to NC from Massachusetts (Yes I am part of the problem) where I had a dedicated 16x24 detached shop. Now I have half a 2 car garage. Any fellow woodworkers in my area that might be able to meet and come up with some layout ideas. I have a DC and TS at this point but hope to be adding a jointer, planer, drill press and band saw eventually. I have a fairly large outfeed / assembly table but also desire to have a dedicated heavy duty workbench with vise. Right now I do mostly dimensional lumber / pocket hole stuff but want to start getting into some hardwoods.

I would love to start meeting some other people in the area as I have found that most all my fellow co workers have not interest in woodworking (Cyber Security).

Thanks,

--Jason

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Shep. Would be happy to meet up with you sometime. There's a lot of threads here pertaining to garage shops. You just missed our monthly (3rd friday) get together, hopefully you can make it next month.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
welcome to area, I'm running my shop in a 1 car garage, and then store the tools whereever I can find a free spot!

jgpncll

New User
Jeremy
What part of Knightdale are you? I am also in Knightdale and use 1 bay of our 2 bay garage. Use both bays when working though. Tools are out of the way so the wife can park at night.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I think I may still hold the record for the most stuff in a 1 car garage shop! How high are your ceilings? Mine were 11 feet so I used all the space for storage: Wood, liquids, rarely used tools, etc.

I had a cyclone dc, a TS, BS, Scroll saw, bench, Drill press, full lathe, oscillating spindle sander, belt/disc sander, joiner/planer, etc...

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Thanks for the welcome all! I'm over in Princeton Manor off Hodge Rd. So far we absolutely love Knightdale and the area. Just finished up Ana White farmhouse bed for our guest room and it came our great! Love making sawdust.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks for the welcome all! I'm over in Princeton Manor off Hodge Rd. So far we absolutely love Knightdale and the area. Just finished up Ana White farmhouse bed for our guest room and it came our great! Love making sawdust.

Shep, welcome to NC and NCWW. We have another forum titled: "Who We Are" and you should also go there and introduce yourself to the members. What brings you and the family to Knightdale from wintery Massachusetts?

Is this the Ana White farmhouse bed for the guest room? Painted too?

http://www.ana-white.com/2011/09/farmhouse-storage-bed-storage-drawers

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to oursawdust pile Shep. Im next door in Clayton. Come on by sometime and we can share ideas!!

jgpncll

New User
Jeremy
We are in Cheswick off of Hodge just across 264/495/87.

If you want to come check the shop out let me know.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
I think I may still hold the record for the most stuff in a 1 car garage shop! How high are your ceilings? Mine were 11 feet so I used all the space for storage: Wood, liquids, rarely used tools, etc.

I had a cyclone dc, a TS, BS, Scroll saw, bench, Drill press, full lathe, oscillating spindle sander, belt/disc sander, joiner/planer, etc...

11 feet as well which is nice. Previous owner already put storage up above the garage door and again in the back right corner.

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Shep, welcome to NC and NCWW. We have another forum titled: "Who We Are" and you should also go there and introduce yourself to the members. What brings you and the family to Knightdale from wintery Massachusetts?

Is this the Ana White farmhouse bed for the guest room? Painted too?

http://www.ana-white.com/2011/09/farmhouse-storage-bed-storage-drawers

Jeff, I'm a southern boy who somehow ended up in Massachusetts for 10 years, (ok it was a girl). I went to school in West Virgina (Marshall) and took a summer job up there and never left. I got a new opportunity down here and convinced my wife to take the plunge. It was always on our roadmap just maybe not so soon.

That bed is similar, but I did not do the drawers. I did this one.

http://www.ana-white.com/2017/11/free_plans/modern-farmhouse-bed

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Welcome to oursawdust pile Shep. Im next door in Clayton. Come on by sometime and we can share ideas!!

Absolutely, we looked in Clayton before choosing Knightdale, my wife felt Clayton was a bit out there although the houses in our price range were beautiful. I'm also a golfer and always looking to get out on the course.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Welcome Shep, I just (August) moved from Knightdale to Clayton going from a 1 car garage shop to a 2 car garage shop. I think layout is all about personal work flow. Which tools you use most frequently and how you use them, long stock, short stock, pre dimenisoned lumber, etc. I find figuring my workflow first and then looking at ways to better store what I have works for me...then again I don't think any shop is ever "done"

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard Shep! We're happy you've become a part of our great community of woodworkers!

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Since you said you will be adding a jointer and planer to the shop, why not consider a combo jointer/planer machine. 2 machines in one footprint. Years ago I switched from a 6 inch jointer and 12 inch planer to a 12" combo J/P machine, and again this year to a 16" combo machine. Was able to free up more real estate in my 16 X 24 shop and add more stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS