New from Raleigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levictus

New User
Dave
Hi guys

Been living in Raleigh for about 11 years. I enjoy long distance bike riding, building R/C airplanes, video games, art, and dabble in diy electronics. That was weird, sounded like a profile for a dating website. I'm married with children and just got into real estate so I'm virtually unemployed ;)

Strangely enough, I'm not a woodworker at all! I was referred here by Klingspors because I was inquiring if they did any wood turning jobs. The gentleman thought I'd have the best luck here. I will put up a post when I have everything ready...I'm looking to have someone turn some headphone cups and audio jack covers with a nice finish. Probably out of Zebrawood. Should be pretty straightforward.

but enough about me...how are you doing? :D

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard. Once you have the specs for what you need I'm sure you won't have any problems finding someone to do what you need or maybe even offer to help you turn them yourself... :gar-Bi

Brian.

Levictus

New User
Dave
Thanks Brian... I sure wouldn't mind learning a thing or two. First thing I did when I started this project was looked at lathes, but then thought better of it...

I just have to alter my drawing slightly to accommodate a larger driver and should be ready to go. I have a piece of Zebra-wood I'm eying on eBay, but maybe the members here have better sources... Thanks for the welcome!

Dave

Welcome aboard. Once you have the specs for what you need I'm sure you won't have any problems finding someone to do what you need or maybe even offer to help you turn them yourself... :gar-Bi

Brian.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I think the Raleighwood WoodCraft usually has Zebrawood and/or Lacewood in stock and Klingspor might have it as well on occasion. Those options might be cheaper than eBay cost and shipping and you'd get to lay your hands on it before buying...

HTH,
Brian.

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome glad you came here. As Ken suggested in your help desk request, a post in the general woodworking forum should get you the response you are looking for. Please do not be shy, feel free to ask any question and join in a conversation.

We love pictures and here are 2 links that will help explain how to upload pics to your gallery and post them.

To upload pictures

To post pictures

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the sawdust pile. We love pictures. Show us some of your works.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
welcome Levi...send us some pics...great group of folks here

Levictus

New User
Dave
Thanks for the warm welcome. In response to all the requests for pics, I will give you a few. As I mentioned, I am not a woodworker and these pics I am posting are not made by me. They are, however, what I am looking to have made if someone can help me out. The pics I am posting are of turned wood headphone cups. This guy does great work, but concentrates more on the aesthetic as opposed to the sound which takes nothing away from his skill. His choice of woods are not choices I would make. To make the cups and therefore the headphones sound better, you would benefit from using medium to large diffuse porous tone woods like limba, avodire, mango, iroko, and zebrawood. The goal is to mill a great cup that resonates. The last pic are wood covers for the audio jacks which should be fairly simple to turn. I have detailed schematics of the cups I will post in general woodworking when I finish tweaking them for the drivers I am going to use...enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 93

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
Hi guys

Been living in Raleigh for about 11 years. I enjoy long distance bike riding, building R/C airplanes, video games, art, and dabble in diy electronics. That was weird, sounded like a profile for a dating website. I'm married with children and just got into real estate so I'm virtually unemployed ;)

Strangely enough, I'm not a woodworker at all! I was referred here by Klingspors because I was inquiring if they did any wood turning jobs. The gentleman thought I'd have the best luck here. I will put up a post when I have everything ready...I'm looking to have someone turn some headphone cups and audio jack covers with a nice finish. Probably out of Zebrawood. Should be pretty straightforward.

but enough about me...how are you doing? :D

Hi and welcome. We are production turners, if you are still needing turning done. And welcome regardless!

www.CHESSSPY.com

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
You know, that is really easy turning. Why don't you learn how to turn and do them yourself?

Anyway, interesting project & good luck! Write if you need help getting the work done or learning how to turn them yourself. There's a lot of turning info on our website: folks have taught themselves with the videos, or we hold occasional classes that are regarded as successful.

www.CHESSSPY.com

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Dave. As you can see you can get a lot of advice and help if you just ask.

Levictus

New User
Dave
Roughly where in Raleigh are you? I might could turn this.

Douglas
i am in north Raleigh between Falls and Spring Forest. I am going to attempt myself after talking to some guys in the headphone forums. Most use a drill press exclusively using hole saws and forstner bits. I will let you know how it goes, but may need help anyway when it's all said and done. Will keep you posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors