NEW drill (new to me)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
My John S. Fray Spofford's patent brace seemed to be lonely so I bought her a big brother (that is a 14 in swing!)
I wonder what was the smallest swing they made?
IMG_5830.JPG

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just add the Hankergizer to it and it will perform as designed.
unfortunately the "Hankergizer" is more like one of the energizer bunny's victims! LOL

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Curious, do you have bits and do you use them? I sold my B&Bs several years ago as I had not used them in years. I used the brace with a Philips bit moor than drills, but then went battery.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Curious, do you have bits and do you use them? I sold my B&Bs several years ago as I had not used them in years. I used the brace with a Philips bit moor than drills, but then went battery.
yes, the NCWW enablers helped me get a full set of irwin bits and I have two sets of Jennings pattern bits. I still use battery tools (dewalt and as you know a reasonably acquired Makita set) for a lot of work, but it is really enjoyable to put a perfectly round hole in a board with ZERO noise!

The REALLY neat thing about the John S. Fray's Spoffard style is the ease of changing bits. you don't have to open the chuck of a normal brace, you simply twist the thumb screw (it is about a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn and remove the bit and you can put in the next one!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have wondered about a brace now we have those nifty Bosch spade bits with a auger tip. When I had mine (a Dunlop) bits were round shank and that did not go well with the tapered square chuck. Plus bits were very very expensive. I beat too many of mine up working on house things. What I did have, and got a pretty price for, was a set of twist drills, 1/8 to 3/8.

What you can do is drill curved holes that is very hard with a twist drill! Cut back spoon bit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors