New crib requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I suppose this is in the right forum. If not admins please move.

Saw this on iGoogle home page & thought it might be of interest here.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I think many of the deaths are due to worn-out hardware ("..about half of the deaths were due to failures with the drop side of a crib..") It's a good idea to require that the "mode of failure" for moving parts be benign, but it seems like the industry could have switched to more robust hardware and avoided this outright ban.

Take this (banned) drop-side crib for example. The drop-side employs plastic guides on steel rails (the dark brown rectangles on the right-front corner post). The problem is that the plastic guides fatigue and breaks. So why not make the guides steel with a nylon wear-pad ?

-Mark
179530280-22124434.jpg

Robert

New User
Robert
I know this isn't a direct concern to me since my daughter will be 7 in Feb, out of a crib for several years now. But the one we used did not have any plastic parts, the drop down mechanics were all metal, attatched with metal screws to a solid wood frame(...a little squeaky at times). This was and still is a hand-me-down, who knows how old it is? So is plastic now being used in some of those parts?

And they couldn't just replace the plastic with old fashion metal? What happened to "RECALL"s?
And where are these plastic infested cribs made at?

Does the judge that ruled on this still have a job?

I don't argue with questioins being asked, faulty items being ruled on, it's the corrective action that really scares me lately.

So...whats the alternative, fold down sides? fold up sides? swing open rail? step stool built in to reach over?

Sorry, just had to breath out on this one.
Thanks
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS