New CNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

copythat

New User
Rob
I just ordered the Legacy Maverick 3x5 CNC and should have it in a couple weeks. I purchased Aspire for my project designs and have been completing their online tutorials. The program is outstanding and I'm learning something new every day.

I was thinking about offering CNC services to forum members nearby for a nominal fee and the actual cost of lumber. Has anyone else done that to get machine time and increase their experience?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Maverick-CNC-Angle-View-800-x-800.png
    Maverick-CNC-Angle-View-800-x-800.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 560

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Very cool! ....and I am ever so slightly jeaulous... But seriously, how did you choose this company? I am still toying with the idea of either buying or building a CNC. Likely a CNC plasma cutter first, not as difficult as a router. Just curious, have you looked at Shopbot?

Right now I am looking into a drawing and cad/cam program. If you could share how you decided on Aspire, that would be be helpful.

Again, congrats on the new toy/tool!

Bernhard

copythat

New User
Rob
Very cool! ....and I am ever so slightly jeaulous... But seriously, how did you choose this company? I am still toying with the idea of either buying or building a CNC. Likely a CNC plasma cutter first, not as difficult as a router. Just curious, have you looked at Shopbot?

Right now I am looking into a drawing and cad/cam program. If you could share how you decided on Aspire, that would be be helpful.

Again, congrats on the new toy/tool!

Bernhard
I looked at Shopbot because they are in our backyard. I liked them but I really wanted a fully welded machine for rigidity and a true turning center--not an add on. I heard that two years ago when they held the Aspire camp in GA, one day was pretty much dedicated to turnings on a Shopbot. I also heard the instructor played a video of a turning in progress on the Legacy Maverick and told the crowd that was where Shopbot aspired to be some day. If Legacy is the envy of other CNC manufacturers, it must be a good machine.

I looked at CAMASTER since they are just down in GA but I wasn't as impressed.

I've also spoken or communicated with three owners of Legacy Mavericks who could not say enough good things about the machines. One gentleman even went on how they were better than more expensive CNC machines he owned throughout his life. Another gentleman spent 5.5 hours showing me the Maverick and Aspire software and we built a box together and made a turning. It was awesome.

I heard customer support is awesome once you buy into the Legacy family. I have heard that from everyone I communicated with who owned a CNC from Legacy. I have since attended one of their weekly training sessions and cannot wait to start their next project in two weeks. How cool is that?

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Congrats on the new machine...I use Aspire with my machine and I don’t think there’s a better software package for the money...I’m going to a 3 day Aspire workshop in Columbia, SC in April.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Congrats on the new machine...I use Aspire with my machine and I don’t think there’s a better software package for the money...I’m going to a 3 day Aspire workshop in Columbia, SC in April.

I run Aspire too, want to make the Aspire workshop, but hard to get down there for me with my work schedule.

copythat

New User
Rob
I almost signed up for the Aspire camp but couldn't bring myself to do it . . . especially with all the money I just laid out for the equipment. I figured I would start small with Legacy's training projects.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
This is awesome, congratulations! The Forge in Greensboro just received a grant to purchase a commercial CNC. Nothing etched in stone yet, but we're focusing on ShopBot at this time. I'm glad I read your post, I'm not that familiar with these machines, and appreciate knowing about Legacy.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
That's really cool. I want an MFT table top, but don't want to pay Festool price for it. I have thought about asking if someone could CNC the hole pattern for me if bought the MDF. Let me know if you think you could do something like that once you get it up and running.

copythat

New User
Rob
I would be glad to help out once I get set up. I am located about 35 minutes north of Greensboro. Do me a favor and see if you can locate an online file with all of the specifics about the table top.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
That's really cool. I want an MFT table top, but don't want to pay Festool price for it. I have thought about asking if someone could CNC the hole pattern for me if bought the MDF. Let me know if you think you could do something like that once you get it up and running.

Someone with a CNC could easily cut a MFT table top. I had plans for a MFS table I believe from http://www.multifunctionslab.com/

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I found free files here. They have a .pdf and .dxf, I don't know if either of them are the correct file type? If not, what file type is needed for CNC?

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
If not against policy, would you mind sharing those plans? I have access to a CNC machine locally where i could make one!

Unfortunately these are paid plans, so can't share the plans.

I found free files here. They have a .pdf and .dxf, I don't know if either of them are the correct file type? If not, what file type is needed for CNC?

Both the PDF and DXF open in my Aspire software, so they work with CNC. They are not scaled to size when importing som some playing around is needed to get correct.

DoItWise

New User
Daniel
if you havn't found someone, I happy to help you out! I have a designer I work with to create custom fabrications for our CNC work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS