New box for an old tool

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Last year I posted about restoring a miter trimmer that I purchased at an estate sale. It cleaned up really nice and I've been using it whenever I found an opportunity. It's great for shaving off a sliver to get the perfect fit.

Storage has been a problem. it's a heavy tool with very sharp knives. I finally got around to making a custom box to keep it safe and dust free. Now I can store it without worrying about bumping into one of those sharp blades.

IMG_3445.JPG

The wood is reclaimed chestnut. I used hand tools for the construction. To raise the panel on top I refurbished a #18 (1-1/2") round moulding plane. This creates a nice scoop around the panel.

IMG_3447.JPG

The hinges on the back were altered so they allow the lid to detach when it use. This was done by removing the pin, then cutting off part of the tabs on one half. When the top is opened 90 degrees the hinges slide apart. Reverse the process to put it back in place.

IMG_3446.JPG

Ready to use! Note, the handle detaches for storage. I added rubber pads as feet under the base to keep it from slipping.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another fine build Jim. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors