Neti Pot Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

I guess that story confirms my strongest recommendation about dust in the shop -- capture it at the source, not after it has been released into the air we breathe. I always wear an inexpensive but very effective face respirator from Grizzly whenever I do any finish sanding (ROS) or operate tools that create inherent overflow of dust (like my stationary belt/disk sander). The cartridges are cheap as well and I don't get a stuffed up nose! These tools are all connected to my main dist collector or to my Shop Vac with a ClearVue Mini-CV06 to capture the dust. BTW, I am also in general opposed to ceiling air filter units because they give a false sense of security -- all of the dust they catch should never be airborne! Get good dust collection folks -- your life depends on it!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
As a side note, years ago my doctor said to blow your nose just before getting out of the shower. Yeah, I know it's nasty ( my wife calls it GROSS!), but you nasal membranes are the most hydrated and any solids trapped upon such will be more easily expelled. I've followed his advice for years, and seldom have a cold and no sinus infections. Be sure and wash show down COMPLETELY!

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
To be fair I would be quick to point out several key points from the article:

1) it remains to be determined if in fact the brain eating amoebas were introduced via the neti pot or exposure from an untreated water source (pond, river, etc) the latter being much more likely. I do hope this isn't just another case of media hype trying to scare people before all the facts are in!

2) brain eating amoebas should not survive the water purification process. If they have, doesn't that question the treatment facility and/or the incoming water lines rather than usage of the neti pot. If brain-eating amoebas were present in my drinking water, I would be dubious to drink it. What else is present? Wouldn't you be just as likely to introduce some other parasitic microbe into your body via washing your eyes, ears or exposing other mucosal membranes?

Bryan S

Bryan
May or may not be hype, but I passed this on to the misses, who does use one. Thanks for posting.

Glennbear

Glenn
To be fair I would be quick to point out several key points from the article:

1) it remains to be determined if in fact the brain eating amoebas were introduced via the neti pot or exposure from an untreated water source (pond, river, etc) the latter being much more likely. I do hope this isn't just another case of media hype trying to scare people before all the facts are in!

2) brain eating amoebas should not survive the water purification process. If they have, doesn't that question the treatment facility and/or the incoming water lines rather than usage of the neti pot. If brain-eating amoebas were present in my drinking water, I would be dubious to drink it. What else is present? Wouldn't you be just as likely to introduce some other parasitic microbe into your body via washing your eyes, ears or exposing other mucosal membranes?

I see your points but just wanted to share the information with those like myself who use untreated (well) water. I agree the chance for amoebic contamination is remote. :wsmile:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I see your points but just wanted to share the information with those like myself who use untreated (well) water. I agree the chance for amoebic contamination is remote. :wsmile:
The most likely biological contaminant in wells is e. coli bacteria. My other house was tested some years back & the source turned out to be a salamander that had taken up his abode in the well casing by entering a notch I had cut into it for the pump support rope. A good Clorox shock and all was [STRIKE]well[/STRIKE] fine.
Pays to be careful, though. I keep only distilled water for my Neti setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors