Negus - Treen Turning

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe the bowl was turned first then the wings (handles) would be carved and shaped by hand and then the straining holes drilled all by hand. At least that is how I imagine I would tackle it.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
It was turned on a pole lathe. The back and forth spinning motion allows you to include handles on what you're turning.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt, while I agree that a treen could be made on the pole lathe, as shown in the video; the treen referred to in the OP's attachment could not be turned on a horizontal pole lathe as the handles are flat and square-shaped, not round.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, that was turned on a pole lathe. The wings are turned as you would any winged bowl and the area in between the wings are turned using short strokes on the same lathe.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm not a turner but this is an interesting project to explore and learn a bit. I saw a couple of videos about turning a "winged" bowl.

"has excellent pole lathe markings."

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Looking at the pictures magnified in a photo editor, especially the bottom views, I'd have to agree that the wings were done at the same time as the rest of the bowl and are not separate attachments.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS