Needle cases and pill cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
So earlier today in the morning chat I was asked to post pics of this project that I brought up during conversation. I'm doing these types of turning projects to develop and improve my turning skills. It's helping a lot. IMG_0709.JPGIMG_0708.JPGIMG_0704.JPG
The three tools used are roughing gouge, a parting tool, and a skew. I'm trying to not sand so much, these exercises are helping.
So here you are Berta and Ken

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
are you boring them with a drill bit?

Yes, the needle cases are 3/8" and the pill cases are 1/2".
I realized that left that part out about bed time, thanks for asking the question.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Richard, excellent use of small bits of wood and good way to practice your turning. Also, making gifts for others is always great.

Roy G

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Very nicely done Richard! It's been awhile since I've turned any boxes, but I sure had fun when I did. Maybe I'll fins time to play some more on the lathe. Thanks for the inspiration!

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Are you using a standard twist drill bit or forstner bit to bore out the boxes? I've just made a couple of boxes. I've tried both types of bits and they get pretty hot cutting with the grain. I wondered if anyone made special drills for this purpose.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've used both, I also have used forstner bits. Two things are important to note here. One never try to drill out the hole in one shot, drill a little and back off to clear the chips, that will reduce the heat you mentioned. Two, when you are drilling keep a hand on your chuck to secure it and prevent it from coming lose. It would be a bad thing if it came lose while the lathe is running. There are a few YouTube videos on the subject, check out Mike Peace, worth the effort, the Wyoming wood turner. They cover this better than I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors