Need to reset my password

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Lucky for me google has remembered my password but I have not. I am trying to reset my password but I need to know my old password. Can you reset it for me?
Thanks, EricS

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Ordinarily, if you are already logged in, you can change your password any time from the "Settings" control panel (upper right-hand of every screen) and selecting "Edit Email and Password" from the available choices in the left-hand sidebar menu of the Settings control panel. This way you may change your password to something you know. Just do not forget to submit the page after providing your new password.

However, as you do not recall your password you will first need a password reset. If necessary we can do this for you. However, members may also do this for themselves after any failed login attempt (just enter a bad password) as the link to reset your password is included in the error message text informing you of the invalid username or password. But first make sure your email address on record is correct as password resets (whether member or admin initiated) are always sent to the email address on record. If your email address is incorrect *and* you do not know your existing password, then you will need to make a password reset request to an admin *and* request that the admin also first update your email address so that the password reset is actually delivered to you so that you do not get locked out of your account entirely. You can verify your email address from the "Settings" control panel section as mentioned in the first paragraph, but you can not change your email address without knowing your password (a safety thing), in which case an admin must make that change for you prior to any password reset.

Although we can, as admins, reset a member's password, there is no way for us to actually tell a member what their existing password is as the actual password is not stored on the server, only a mathematical hash value that was derived from the original password (and which is, essentially, irreversible).

These days it is really worth having a password manager application to safely record all your username and passwords in and which then keeps all of that info encrypted. I use eWallet, which works and synchs with Windows desktop, Windows Phone, Apple iOS devices, and Android devices (I am uncertain regarding Macs), but there are many other choices out there as well. Such makes it much easier to keep track of all that info in a single app with the database safely synced across multiple devices or locations so that if one is lost you do not lose everything (you can also backup the actual database file as well for safekeeping). It also gives your family members a single place to access that info should anything ever leave you incapacitated so long as they know your password.

Hopefully this info will also help others in the future as I think members often forget, or do not realize, that they have the power to set or reset their passwords on demand at any time. If you need further help, either updating your email and/or an admin initiated password reset, please feel free to ask -- just please verify your email address first or the password reset will completely lock you out since you would fail to receive the email notifying you of the new password if the address on record is out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS