Need to have a couple of slabs surfaced

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I am looking find someone that can surface a couple of slabs for me. The widest one is about 32". They are about 60" - 65" long.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Other option is to use a router with a bridge to surface them. Years ago "toolferonne" built workbenches using this technique.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
and another thing - what happened to toolferone?

as I see it his last post was April of 2018?!

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
20171118_125923.jpg

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Mark,
Reach out to Matt Holway. He recently had a large table top surfaced through a drum sander in Raleigh. He told me the name of the place but I can't remember. They have a Hugh drum sander and I believe they charged him $100 to flatten both sides.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No reply from Scott Smith? You could just call him on the telephone and ask if he can help you out. ;)

Here's a router sled for flattening slabs...

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott apparently doesn't monitor his website contact form - call him or send him an email at the email listed on his website. Calling is probably best. He stays pretty busy with woodworking and the farm.

Tom (toolferone) is almost always working for one of the vendors (forget which, maybe Jet or Powermatic) at the Klingspor Extravaganza. I usually see him there, but he hasn't been on here in a good while.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone. Looks like I have some good options here for the next project.

I did end up taking the slabs up to Raleigh Reclaimed and they got both of them nice and flat with their planer and drum sanders. Sanded smooth to 80 grit.
I will finish sand with my ros and then finish with oil based poly.
20190530_143522.jpg

20190530_143532.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Raleigh Reclaimed is interesting. How are their prices for planing and sanding the slabs?

They have an impressive operation.

A couple of big wide belt sanders and an Oliver 36" planer were used on my slabs. Price seemed high to me, $300 to flatten both slabs. One had a mis-cut from the sawmill and a deep valley in one end that required removing another 7/16". The job took about 2-1/2 hours.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Price-wise i would definitely try the Hardwood Store first. Raleigh Reclaimed is more expensive but if they are the only option for something that big, then you pay what you need to pay. Attached is a picture of my 44"x108"slab coming out of the large belt sander at RR.

Attachments

• IMG_2784.JPG
    IMG_2784.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 208

photostu

New User
Stuart
Building a router sled seems like it would have been a lot more cost effective and you would have the means to do this again.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS