Need to find someone with a 15" or wider planer in Goldsboro area

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLetts

New User
Carl
In making a cutting board for a friend, I had 8/4 purpleheart and maple in 7 3/4" widths. At the last minute I decided to add 1/4" to each slat so I wouldn't waste the last inch of wood from each board. For some reason this didn't register in my brain that instead of ending up with a 12" width board, I would have a 14" board....and a 13" planer.:BangHead: (Actually this didn't hit me until I had the planer set up and laid the board on the infeed table and saw that it wasn't going to fit)

Rather than trim 1/2" off each side I'd like to find someone with a 15" or wider planer that I could pay to run this board through.

Thanks for reading! :thumbs_up

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Carl, I'm a good hour and a half from you but if you can get it here you can run it through my 15" Spiral cutter Grizzly planer - no need to pay me - we just pay it forward. I'm busy this weekend but can do it most any other time. If you're interested, PM me for directions. Hopefully you can find somebody closer.

I also have a 19" Drum sander if we need to take out any snipe that occurs with the planer.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Sorry, but I'm not following the math to get the dimensions. Your current board is 14" wide and Ken can plane if for you.

7.75" x 2 =

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Sorry, but I'm not following your math to get the 14" wide dimension that you have by mistake but you really wanted 12" to fit in your 13" planer.

I'm just curious how you got there.

At the last minute I decided to add 1/4" to each slat so I wouldn't waste the last inch of wood from each board.

Say what?

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Sorry, but I'm not following your math to get the 14" wide dimension that you have by mistake but you really wanted 12" to fit in your 13" planer.

I'm just curious how you got there.

Say what?

If I do the math right... I think he started with 2 pieces of stock, 7 3/4" wide. From that the original plan was 4 of each (8 total) ripped at 1 1/2" - glued up would make 12" wide. Adding 1/4" to the slat width for 1 3/4" x 8 = 14" wide.

Pure guess on my part, but the math adds up...

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks Chris. It shouldn't have been hard for me to understand but it's just one of those days where 2 + 2 = 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS