Need to cut metal table saw rails, where?

Billm0066

New User
Bill
I dont want to mess up my kapex miter saw, so thinking of taking the rails and tube somewhere to get cut. Its a sawstop and I need to shrink it down. It's the big one and I want to cut off about 14" so I can actually use it in my shop. Any recommended places that can do a clean cut in the triangle? I can handle the wood extension piece, just need the front and rear brackets and the steel tube cut down. Cant expand my shop, and I have a tracksaw to handle large sheet goods so I dont need the extra length.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
There are a couple of ways to cut it. I did mine on my saw with my porta-band saw. The rip fence I used a .040 metal cutting disc. on a hand held grinder.

The measuring is the important part. 1st thing make sure you make the line on all sides. Use something you can really see. Then, score all the way around. YOu can use a hack saw for this if so inclined. Then,cut a little long 1/32 or 1/16. Finally, with a hand held disc grinder with a flapper wheel, 80 or 100 grit (or you can use your disc sander) you can bring it to to the line. Once you start kissing the line, then finalize the touch up with a file. I always scribe the line with a scratcher or knife, you can use a utility knife. The easiest way with a utility knife is to buse the tip off, the edge at the break will scratch metal real well.... and then, use a marks alot or equal.

Hope that helps.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I dont want to mess up my kapex miter saw, so thinking of taking the rails and tube somewhere to get cut. Its a sawstop and I need to shrink it down. It's the big one and I want to cut off about 14" so I can actually use it in my shop. Any recommended places that can do a clean cut in the triangle? I can handle the wood extension piece, just need the front and rear brackets and the steel tube cut down. Cant expand my shop, and I have a tracksaw to handle large sheet goods so I dont need the extra length.
A hacksaw would work just fine.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
A metal Cutting miter saw with carbide blade will leave a perfect 90 degree cut with a finish that looks much like a milling machine did it. I have one, but I'm in Kannapolis. You should be able to find one much closer. A metal fabrication or welding shop could do it is you don't find a member here who can help you.

Charley

Billm0066

New User
Bill
Chris in Rolesville helped me out. Im not sure if hes a member here. Super nice guy and he makes his own tools. I bought his patent pending glue removing chisel while I was there and love it. Really clever design and works so well.

Billm0066

New User
Bill
Here is the wood glue chisel. Works great!

Attachments

• 1879EE55-36C3-4382-9A90-B7B9502A6349.jpeg
    1879EE55-36C3-4382-9A90-B7B9502A6349.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 1E3F4879-85DD-48C4-9069-FE91E55B9189.jpeg
    1E3F4879-85DD-48C4-9069-FE91E55B9189.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: Oka

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS