Need suggestions: drilling a 2 3/8" hole at 45 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
:help: I need to drill a series of holes 2 3/8" in diameter through a 1/2" board at a 45 degree angle. I have tried mount the board on a 45 degree jig clamped to my drill press (I even screwed it to the jig at one point to keep it steady). I have used a hole saw and a forstner bit with the speed slowed to 430 rpm. No joy! :no:

The work piece still chatters or the drill/saw gets bogged down. Any recommendations? A better jig idea? Different speeds?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Doug

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Could you drill a whole into a straight piece of 3" square stock, cut a miter onto the end of it after drilling and somehow use that to "guide" the bit into the slanted work piece?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Doug,

Would you be able to make a sacrificial 45 degree wedge that you can clamp to your board, so that when the board is at a 45 degree angle the drilling surface is flat to the bit. You would also probably need to have a sacrificial backer to keep the bit from causing blowout to your good piece.

JMTCW:dontknow:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Are you sure your forstner bit is sharp? Especially the rim. 2 3/8 is a clockset size and am wondering if it's been used enough to be a little dull. Or do you have any lateral play in the quill causing the chatter. Anyway, I've never had problems with sharp bits, but nothing but trouble with my dull ones. I've got a lot of those!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Jimmy you must be a mind reader. I was just thinking of that. I have to look for some thick pine scraps. I will need wedges on both sides.

Joe: My bit is brand new just out of the package.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If you are getting chatter, you have play some where. Is there an adjustment to tighten up the quill? Do you have all the table locking mechanisms secure? Something isn't as tight or as secure as it should be.

Glennbear

Glenn
Jimmy suggested what I was going to. I used a similar process when I drilled holes in 2by stock when making holes for the splayed legs on my mitersaw stand on a mobile base. :wsmile:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Doug, this is a 1 1/2" bit drilling at 15 deg is what I'm talking about with the rim being sharp. Have to use at least this size because I can't hone anything smaller.

DP_Daisy_Jig_1_.jpg

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have used Phillips idea (large hole through heavy stock, miter, and clamp in vise with target stock between mitered ends) and it worked quite well. Project was making fishing pole rack for my boat in FL using 2"id PVC going through 1" cypress boards at a 15 degree angle. I used a hole saw.

Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A 2-3/8" hole should be large enough that you could glue the wedges that Jimmy suggested to the board in the area where the hole will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors