Need some poplar

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I need 10 or so pieces of dried poplar that are 40" long by 4" wide. Thickness is less of an issue as I am building up a bed post for painting.

I would like to finish this ASAP. Can go to Lowe's or BORG just rather give $ to a fellow woodworker.

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you don't find someone with some to spare, you might check at Klingspors, Raleigh Hardwood, East Wake Hardwood, or even Woodcraft, you'll get better prices there than at any BORG.
Dave:)

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Thanks Dave. J bought some from Rodger at East Wake last week. What a nice guy. Zebulon is a but far to drive for this little bit.

J

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, Klingspor is half the distance and they have some nice stock, I was just there today getting some Mahogany ..!!ouch!!!
Woodcraft is even closer, but I am not sure if they have any, call them first 781-1911

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I have never had it satisfactorily explained to me why 8/4 cost more than 4/4!
Less cutting
Less handling etc!

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
It is a bit harder to come by especially a decent grade. "Small tight knots" in a piece that is 8/4 X 8" x 14' is a big clean board.

Another way to look at is that can get more for it.

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have never had it satisfactorily explained to me why 8/4 cost more than 4/4!
Less cutting
Less handling etc!

Longer, more complicated kiln drying, the boards are twice as heavy to handle, and there is less of a demand for it compared to 4/4.
I doubt that is a satisfactory explanation, but it was just a few thoughts I had on the subject:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors