Need Some Mitre Station Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Well,I had a long weekend so I took apart a 12' long radial arm bench and opened up some serious room.Now I would like to come up with a Mitre box station with storage below it.I'm wanting to see some pix of what people have come up with for there own shops.I need some drawers and a long support shelf for the mitre box function and also some closed cabinets.Like I said ,I have about 12 feet of space and its on a wall with nothing on it.8' ceiling ht but the wall is currently cement block.I will seal/paint it tomorrow.
Thanx in advance,
Greg

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I just completed a miter saw station in my shop that's just about the size you are considering. My only suggestions are that you concentrate on building the BENCH first, get it stable and square, with a small back fence. We made mine from plywood. The actual bench is probably only about 14" deep, (whatever I had available), and is 3/4" plywood.

I have plenty of room under the bench to store things. You might want to consider some cabinets on casters so that you can just roll them out and clean under the bench. But, if you're gonna build a lineup of cabinets, then I guess that won't matter. :icon_scra

Dust collection is a bit of a hassle, since my saw is compound and a slider.

Good luck with whatever you do. The small back fence is great for setting stops when cutting repetitive pieces.
:wsmile:

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Here's what I came up with a few years ago:

more images in my gallery-I can support/cut a board up to 14ft on the table

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Here is mine:

Miterbench.jpg

This is 16' long all together. I have another 5' on the right side (out of the picture) with more drawers underneath. The one cabinet with drawer faces on it is on casters. I use it as work support when breaking down sheet goods.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Here's what I came up with a few years ago:

more images in my gallery-I can support/cut a board up to 14ft on the table

Wow, those cabinets are spectacular :).

I thought about doing something like this (except with less skill) but I don't think I can give up that many linear feet of wall space.

Anyway I really love the oak drawer fronts. Do you have any sketches of the construction details?

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Geoff and Michael,
You guys have what I am looking for.Although I like Geoff's a little more.I would like to set the mitre saw back alittle since I do not have a slider and utilize the space under the extended supports.I would also like to have shorter drawers so I could have a shallower cabinet at the user's position.I figured I would have a catch box behind the saw with a drop in collector can and my DC plumbed into the side to catch the fine airborne stuff.Really like what I see so far.Michael,I don't have that much oak of any color to pull your drawer fronts off.Although I think I know where I can get some nice alder that would look real nice.Geoff,How deep are the cabinet carcasses?Thanx,
Greg B

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Geoff, How deep are the cabinet carcasses? Thanx,
Greg B

Greg,

The carcasses are 24" deep with 22" slides. The bench top is 32' deep and the fence is removable so I can mount other tools (dovetail jig, oscillating sander, mortiser). This also allowed me to run a dust collection line behind the cabinets at floor level. I intend to finish the drawer fronts one of these days with either pine or poplar. Everything in my shop needs to be finished:wink_smil

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Here is a pic of my current mitersaw station. It slides out and locks for use, and slides back to stow. In addition to the small vac hose on the blade guard there is a 6" DC line in the cabinet below.

Something to think about- you don't need a fence with a mitersaw- they already have one. It is short, but that is all you need to support the board. Try using a long fence with a warped 2 X 4!

What is nice to have, however, is some sort of stop for repetitive cuts and also a fixed measuring tape if you trust those. I will add something similar to what I had in my old shop (see below) except it will ride it T-track under the lip of my bench. I plan to make it easily removable- it will be similar to miniature Unifence casting. A quick twist of the locking lever to remove it from the T-track. I'll put a wider chamfer on the front of my bench where I will attach the tape- easier to see than a tape on a fence at the back of the saw!

PB1400091.JPG

Here is a pic of the mitersaw station in my tiny shop in my former house in VA.

Shop_21.JPG

I was really short on space, so I elevated the miter bench to save main bench space. I removed the widow and mounted the slider in the opening and built an insulated box on the outside. The MDF table was built like a torsion box. I built drawers for the voids. A measuring tape is on a chamfer at the the front of the mitersaw bench. A homemade stop rides in a slot.

Miter_stop.JPG

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Here is mine.

trentpics_220.jpg

Pretty simple as this is a temporary shop for me. I just used some scrap subfloor and other wood leftover from jobs. This will be torn down and discarded when I move my shop so I didn't put a lot of time and effort into it. Still, it does what I need it to do and if I need to screw a stop block to it for repetitive cuts, it's no big deal. :icon_thum

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
I built the one that Norm has to fit about the same space that you have. It turned out real nice with plenty if storage. MK

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Several nice designs,does anybody have any actual plans.How about Norm's version?
I saw a interpretation on Norm's site that looked good.I guess I'll have to sketch alittle.
Thanx,Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS