need plans to build my mom rocking chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff2103

New User
jeffnewatwood
I never built a chair. My mother who is near 80 I want to build very big rocking chair for. (she will fall sleep in). Does anyone have suggestion of a web site I can find plans? I like for them be free but to get very nice chair I would pay few dallors. My mom would love this. She does not own a rocking chair now.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff I moved your post to general woodworking so it will get more visibility.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
When I need plans I always start w/ the SketchUp 3D Warehouse. I did a quick search for "rocking chair" and got almost 400. If you're not familiar w/ SketchUp, it's a FREE, 3D modeling program that many of us use.

Some of the models are more detailed than others, but can usually give you a good starting point for dimensions, etc.

jeff2103

New User
jeffnewatwood
Thank you so much. I will go to sketchup. I got cad cam software but the not knowing anything about chairs I have no place to start.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My mom would love this. She does not own a rocking chair now.

1. Good intentions on your part but building a rocking chair from scratch is not trivial.

2. Rocking chairs are not intended to be slept in. Maybe a short nap but they get uncomfortable after awhile.

You can buy a ready to assemble rocking chair at Cracker Barrel for starters. Your mom may not like a rocking chair.

Look at these, for example.

http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/Rocking-Chairs-Furniture-Furniture-Home/b/3378425011

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want large and solid rather than fine spindles - sounded like you did. You might want to concentrate on Craftsman Style rockers.

And actually for sleeping in a Morris Chair might be more appropriate. There are many Morris Chair plans available - From Fine Woodworking to Popular Woodworking. I think Norm even has a plan and DVD for sale with a Morris Chair design. It is a pre-cursor to the Lazy Boy recliner only quite a bit more.

jeff2103

New User
jeffnewatwood
I don't know how to ask Norm how much he wants for his plans? ALSO I went to the site sketchup3dwarehouse. How do I use that site? I really don't understand it at all. I try to download a chair and cannot. Do I need special software? My email is jeffbrooks1960@att.net

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry - sometimes I assume everybody knew about Norm Abrams and the New Yankee Workshop. Here is a link to his Morris Chair plans.

http://www.newyankee.com/index.php?id=53#!/Morris-Chair/p/7916574

Measured plans and a DVD describing the build on one of his TV episodes on PBS. You can possibly find the show on old PBS re-runs but the DVD with plans will have everything you need to reproduce the item in question. I haven't searched there and there might also be plans for a rocking chair.

jeff2103

New User
jeffnewatwood
Thank very much for the help. If I want to make it a rocking chair what would you guess the out side ( part touches floor) radius would be?

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Woodcraft has the Scott Morrison plans on sale. The simple rocker is relatively simplistic or the Maloof rocker. His plans are excellent.

jeff2103

New User
jeffnewatwood
Thank you. I will take look at that. I really like one looks as big as lazy boy. I am trying to figure out how to put the pcs on the bottom to make rocking chair.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just noticed the over on the Wood Whisperer site the latest Guild Project is a Maloof Style Rocker.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Attaching the rockers to the legs can be really difficult or really easy doping on how you di it. In Maloof style chairs, the Hal Taylor, Charles Brock and Scot Morisson plans all require a complex miter cut with different angles for the front and rear legs. It takes hours to get the angles perfect. The JSR Woodworking approach where I first learned is best. The rockers risers are hand planed flat and the legs are cut flat to the floor. Therefore the only angle is a 5 degree angle on the back legs. This approach is much easier!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Regarding the Wood Whisperer Guild - it is an extra cost option - you can subscribe for a year or subscribe for a particular project. They also sometimes have DVD's available for a fixed fee without a subscription. With a subscription to a single project you get access to all of the video instruction on how to build it and the plans. These are very detailed plans and very detailed videos on how to build the project step by step. They are not the cheapest way to go, but they are probably the most thorough of any plans/videos that I've dealt with.

You also get access to the Guild Forum where you can ask questions or make suggestions and Marc will respond personally to any request.

I subscribed to the G&G Blanket Chest project and made a great wedding gift for my Nephew and his bride by using those plans and videos. The videos are great for helping you through the difficult details during construction.

Not for everyone, but certainly a very thorough instruction to build a particular item. Better than the Fine Woodworking premium videos in my opinion, although both are excellent.

jeff2103

New User
jeffnewatwood
Thank you. I will look up all them to see how they do it. I am finishing a sign to go by some peoples pool down the street and by next Wednesday I want to start the chair. The way I learn to be machinest was ask a lot questions 30 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS