Need more help with id of this wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I finished this pen this evening. I think it looks pretty good. The only problem is, I need a little help identifying this wood. Anyone.. anyone?

pen.jpg

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
That looks pretty spot on to me Dave. I'm making a matching pencil to go with this. I was pleasantly surprised in the grain pattern, and the little bullseye in the center.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Could be wrong, but it looks like cocobolo. The picture looks more orange than yellow, and bocote usually is yellowish with the black stripes.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I have quite a bit of cocobolo, This is much more yellow in color, that the pieces I know are cocobolo. Ha, the problem with getting a huge grab bag of wood. Never know what you're cutting. All I know for sure, is it sure looks nice.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Oh, forgot to mention that's an absolutely gorgeous pen. :icon_thum I need to get one of you pen makers to make me one that nice sometime.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Thanks Randy. I think the matching pencil I'm going to make with another piece of wood just like this is destined to go to my dad for father's day. He's been after me since Christmas for a pencil. He's hooked on crossword puzzles.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I'm pretty sure it is bocote... but it could be mexican cocobolo, which sometimes looks like that, but is usually a little darker with a little more redish tint. You may be able to tell by the way it turned... From my experience cocobolo turns smother then bocote... Cocobolo turns almost like plastic would. bocote isnt quite as smooth turning...... Hope that helps

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
It definately wasn't turning like the cocobolo I have turned in the past. Seemed a little more brittle, and was a bit harder to sand out toolmarks.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
Sound like bocote to me. looks like bocote to me. I'm saying it is bocote.... The only other thing to do is to get a piece of both and smell the dust when you cut it or turn it, and then smell the dust of this pen blank. Bocote and cocobolo smell diffrent when you cu or turn them. (just dont breath alot of it in though):eusa_naug

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I guess it's really hard to actually say without putting hands on it. The colors of the exotics vary a lot, maybe because of where they were grown. I've had cocobolo that ranged from almost completely black (almost looked like ebony) to bright yellow/orange without the black streaks.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Ditto the comments about Bocote. I have turned a few pens and pencils in the past with Bocote and that is how they looked.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS