Need Help/advise for high school band project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
I have been asked to design and build a mobile platform for this drum rack for my son's high school band. The requirements are it must allow movement over grass (football field), needs to be stable to have a drummer stand on during the performance, be low to the ground 3-4" platform height, and break down for transport. I have some ideas but want to ask for input. If I do it the way I envision, it will require some welding, so anybody that could help me with that would be great. I'm open so give me some ideas. I know this is the group to go to for ideas so thanks in advance.

dr80.jpg

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Your going to want something that can be wheeled around easily, so you should look at either putting it on lockable wheels -to minimize movement when the drummer steps on, or mount some wheels on one side so you can lift it up and move it around on the wheels.

Don't have a lot of setup time for those band competitions, so will need to be able to move it on & off the field fairly quickly :eusa_thin.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I would HIGHLY suggest using something like a trailer tire. It will make going over the football field much easier. You probably would need to come up with a locking mechnisim or just build some wheel chocks. We use trailer tires and wheel chocks for all our pit carts and it make moving them around pretty easy.

TedAS

New User
Ted
I have been asked to design and build a mobile platform for this drum rack for my son's high school band. The requirements are it must allow movement over grass (football field), needs to be stable to have a drummer stand on during the performance, be low to the ground 3-4" platform height, and break down for transport. I have some ideas but want to ask for input. If I do it the way I envision, it will require some welding, so anybody that could help me with that would be great. I'm open so give me some ideas. I know this is the group to go to for ideas so thanks in advance.

dr80.jpg

If this is a picture of the rack you would like to use you can add some structure to the rack with square tube steel. Skip the platform and add these HF casters to the new tube steel structure. The drummer can walk right in and not have to step up on a platform. It will also take up less room on the band trailer or truck. We used these casters for our equipment.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Those HF Caster would work as well... how many drums and what type of drums will be attached to it? Just make sure it doesn't get top heavy. :)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Your going to want something that can be wheeled around easily, so you should look at either putting it on lockable wheels -to minimize movement when the drummer steps on, or mount some wheels on one side so you can lift it up and move it around on the wheels.

Don't have a lot of setup time for those band competitions, so will need to be able to move it on & off the field fairly quickly :eusa_thin.

I visualize a platform with 2 small fixed base pneumatic casters on either the front or 1 side and using a stud & eye hookup to a dolly with a handle to move it about. Once the dolly is removed, the stand would be stabilized by 2 fixed legs opposite the casters. You'd just steer it into place, lift up the steering arm on the dolly to remove it, and run off the field.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Chad that's pretty much what I had in my mental picture of it. I think that would work well especially if you can lock the wheels securely. Drummers tend to get a little bouncy and emphatic.. 4 years as a percussionist in High School Marching Band can attest to that. Man I miss the drum line. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors