Need Green Stock for Steam Bending

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I am trying to source green stock that is suitable to steam bend. I will use it to form the sides of a Kalimba, in a guitar body pattern. Ideally, it would be something with figure, and attractive, as well as fairly easy to work with. Does anyone know of a source where I might find such a critter??

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Steam bent green wood would need to be fully dried on a form before it could be used in a build. However, you don't need green wood for instrument building. In fact I've never seen it recommended. Stringed instrument sides that are already dried and taken to final thickness are often hand bent on a hot pipe. Or over a heated shaped form. Lots of You-tube vids.

I have also seen sides built up with veneer layers and hide glue or Urea based glue over a shaped form. Then you could use whatever veneer for the surface and don't have to sweat hand bending.

Having said this, I have never built a Kalimba and your plans may call for steam bent green wood, so if that is the case, please ignore the above verbiage.
You could probably make friends with a Lansdcaping crew or keep an eye on CL. Interesting green wood might be a challenge.

Please post pics of the build.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I get mine from Jack, out n Rolesville. He is a member here, Saw4you and a great guy to work with. Typically a hot pipe is used and I just happen to have one you could borrow

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I can do this! I tried bending some spalted maple wood with a steam chamber, but even though it was only 1/8" thick, and it was steamed for over two hours, it just cracked when I tried to form it. I read that wood dried to a moisture content of less than 8% will not bend properly. Thus, I was seeking something wetter. I won't be able to follow up with you on this for several more weeks, as my schedule is crazy busy until the end of the year. But - I will definitely be back at you - my thanks!

danw

New User
dan
Maple can be difficult to bend, especially spalted. I have broken many pieces. You have to be patient. It can be bent using an iron.
10559863_673971606025040_2544695537467684201_n.jpg

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
A lot of the success rate in bending depends on a lot of things.
species, moisture content, and a very important thing is that the piece being used has a surface that is parallel to the grain. Virtually any wood can be bent but the process may vary as much as the success rate. Patience never hurts!!

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors