Need Advice on new printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Folks, my HP printer took a fit and had three paper jams in a row. Now there is something mis-aligned somewhere and it blends some of the lines of a letter together and blurs photos across the middle. It also makes the edges wavy. I am told that it would most likely cost more to repair than to purchase a new printer. Mine is a HP 5150 deskjet and has served me well, but I have been considering an all in one with the fax machine. Any suggestions and why would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Steve

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
We have owned a few HP desk and laser jets over the years including a couple of all in one models. All performed well and held up reasonably well. I would look at HP models that are on special at whatever giant office supply is nearby or that you can get shipped free. Things to take into account besides the initial price are how much cartridges cost, how many pages a cartridge lasts, how long it takes to print a page and how you connect to it. I can't tell you what the right or wrong answers are for you; it's always a matter of tradeoffs. Cheap printers usually print slowly but go through cartridges faster. As you spend more, you get better performance and ease of connection (a lot are wireless these days).

fergy

New User
Fergy
I guess I would go the other way, and suggest not to get an HP. We just got an all-in-one, and it's junk. After three hours on the phone to tech support to Canada, they told me they couldn't do anything else. The drivers they supply are bad, and I finally had to get 3rd-party drivers to get it to work properly. The tech support people didn't understand how the product works, either, as they didn't know that wireless networking is disabled when it is plugged to a wired network. We've also called repeatedly about the screeching noise it makes when printing and they tell us that is normal.

In the old days I loved HP printers. Now, I can't stand them.

I would recomend this Brother all in one laser this is not the one I have but I have 2 others

ok for all your regular printing if you are like me you do not need it to be in color and the laser is much cheaper per page plus you have all the other functions of copy scan and print... the scanner here does not replace a high quality scanner but it is good enough for most people. and I do not like the wireless adapter on my printer the network card if just great plugged into the router (the non woodworking kind)

the price is totally right on this about $75 cheaper then the last one I bought

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Printer-MFC7460DN-Ethernet-Monochrome/dp/B004QM99JQ/ref=pd_cp_e_4

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
I have a Dell 966 all in 1 that has worked well for around 6-7 years.I ordered the ink online and refill the cartridges myself,only a handful of paper jams 4-5 and I think the paper was loaded wrong or wrinkled.
Tony

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Last fall I bought an Epson 610 Workforce all-in-one online for $29.95 with free shipping. Prints as well as my HP, Canon and Lexmark. It's my first WiFi printer and any new ones will be too. I have faxed a 20 page contract as fast as the paper could feed. Who still uses faxes?
PDFs are the thing, but some Realtors are stuck in the '80s I suppose.:dontknow:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
After many years, I've finally given up on HP printers (and laptops too). Last year i bought a Brother MFC-295CN and I love it. Ink usage is about average, but the cartridges are reasonably priced. It has performed flawlessly. It's listed on amazon for about $130 but I got it on sale at Office Depot for about $90.00.

Ernie

DaveD

New User
Dave
Just a caution. If you have a need to print from either an Apple Iphone or Ipad you are just about stuck with a HP printer. The apple devices require something called 'airprint' and HP is the only printer (some models) that will support it.

I have a Canon all in MX882?) that works great except is useless on the iphone/pad. Even all the various apple apps, both free and fee based don't work (at least for me).

Just a caution. If you have a need to print from either an Apple Iphone or Ipad you are just about stuck with a HP printer. The apple devices require something called 'airprint' and HP is the only printer (some models) that will support it.

I have a Canon all in MX882?) that works great except is useless on the iphone/pad. Even all the various apple apps, both free and fee based don't work (at least for me).

another great reason not to buy a apple product

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
It would seem that HP would deserve to be stuck with Apple.Don't deal with either of them.
I have a Canon Pixma 4000 for pictures ,which it excells at and a Epson all in one CX 8400 and they both have been flawless. Staples has the cartridges for the Canon far cheaper than the HP ,it does take 6 different cartridges but I rarely change more than one a month at $11 each. at this point ,it is like shaving refills,it's cheaper to buy a new razor or a printer than it is to maintain one you already have. Good Luck
Greg

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
We use the Brother HL line of printers at our house. Very nice laser printers. I would use software to do any fax work.

is like shaving refills,it's cheaper to buy a new razor or a printer than it is to maintain one you already have. Good Luck
Greg

it is why I recommend getting a monochrome laser for your main printer.... Ink jets are harder to maintain and not needed for most things you print... Put the Laser on your network and everyone can print to it and cost of toner is cheaper then buying black ink cartidges for the amount of yield you get from them... As stated before I have had great luck with Brother laser printers the only problem I have had was my fault running labels it my old printer and they came off and got stuck on the drum... I leave the labels to a cheap toss way ink yet and invest you money in a laser that will last for a good long time

jemcguire

New User
John
+1 on Brother wireless laser printers. I can't speak about their all-in-one machines, but we switched from an HP ink jet to to our current Brother laser printer and are very satisfied. We don't miss (and realized we never needed) the color printer, and as mentioned above the savings in cartridges is substantial.

decibel

New User
Patrick
+1 on the laser suggestion. I've had 3 laser printers in the last 13 years. Only one completely crapped out, the other is in the shop. I have spent a grand total of maybe $350 for toner in that time. Currently running a canon and I'm fairly happy with it I have multiple PC's so I wanted one that had a built in network connection.

Now for what you're looking for I think any of the lasers would be fine, a big selling point for me with the canon was the built in duplexer (2 sided printing). I like finally having a duplex printer at home and it's great for saving paper eliminating the stack of paper I take out to the shop :wsmile: think it ran me ~$170 last year.

Dave if you want to use airprint on your printer and you have a computer that's always on there are programs out there that will fake the funk for you and pretend to be an airprint supported printer. Ugly solution but it works if you have that type of setup.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Well, I had a nice thorough primer on printers written up for you, but this is one of those occassions where I really want to smack the idiot that mapped the backspace key to the 'Back' feature of the browser -- all you have to do is momenarily let the cursor lose focus of the textbox and the backspace button goes from deleting an unwanted character to wiping out the entire response! grrrrrr!!! :BangHead:

Anyhow, you really need to define what your expectations and needs are before anyone can recommend a proper printer for your needs. Every printer in existence is a trade-off of features and functionality.

For my purposes I maintain an 6-ink Epson inkjet printer for the exclusive purpose of photographic printing because that is what they do better than *any* other brand of printer out there. I also maintain a Brother MFC-9840CDW Color Laser printer for all my other printing because, assuming I purchase high-yield toner cartridges from online retailers -- it is only modestly more expensive/page than a comparable business-class color inkjet while being orders of magnitude faster than color inkjets (up to 24pgs/minute full color/single-sided or 8pgs/min double-sided... something no inkjet can *practically* achieve). My Brother color laser is a true full-featured multifunction center with Printing, Copying, Scanning (incl. over network to a PC and to FTP or email), and Fax with very few compromises. It also sports a 50-page Duplexed ADF (auto-document feeder) which is wonderful for bulk scanning of loose two-sided documents (or bills). It also has well-written drivers that integrate well with Windows PCs and its builtin support of PostScript allows it to integrate wonderfully with CUPS in Linux.

In the past I preferred HP Inkjets for business-class printing due to their wonderfully crisp black text printing (thanks to the use of a pigmented black ink). HP inkjets still have the best quality black text print quality of any inkjet, but their drivers, firmware, and support applications have become terribly bug-ridden due to a Microsoft-like laser-focus on added features and new-model releases rather than cleaning up their existing code base. This is even more true of their multifunction printers. A terrible shame because I really like their print-engines and inks for general business-quality documents.

Other than HP Inkjets, I really don't like the black text output (on ordinary non-specialty papers) of most other inkjet brands because their black inks are optimized for color photo printing rather than that of text printing. As a result, their black text, on ordinary paper, is typically rendered as a dark-gray and sometimes even fuzzy black text -- however their quality on specialty papers can be wonderful (but you pay a premium for the use of specialty paper).

When you do go shopping for your new printer, do not be swayed by the retail price of the printer unless you are an extremely light user. When it comes to printers (laser or inkjet) you can either pay up front or pay on the backend. Unless you are an extremely light user it pays off to pay up front (as in, purchase a more costly printer) because you will get a better built printer that utilizes much larger ink cartridges/tanks. Since you pay roughly the same for a small ink cartridge as you do for a large one, you save money by paying upfront for a printer that uses larger ink cartridges. That usually means you will be investing in a true business-class inkjet (or laser) which means you get a better built printer that is much less likely to self-destruct after a paper jam (the better printers usually have extra sensors that detect the jam and stop the printer when a jam occurs, rather than ignoring the jam and plowing on through like many cheaper models do). By purchasing better quality printers I frequently get 10+ years (and many tens-of-thousands of pages) out of my printers -- which really makes the greater up-front cost more palatable. It is extremely rare that I replace such a printer before the 50,000+ page mark.

If you have a multi-PC household and regularly share one or two nice printers, it pays to invest in a printer with built-in network support (either Wired or WiFi). Wired ethernet is the best overall choice where a wired network connection is an option, otherwise you can opt for WiFi.

It is also worth considering investing in a printer with a builtin paper duplexer which allows for automatic double-sided printing. The duplexer will slow down the printer (typically about 1/3 the speed of single-sided printing) but you gain the ability to print to both sides of each sheet which nearly cuts your paper consumption in half and, if you regularly save or archive your printed output, cuts the needed storage space (e.g. binders, filing cabinet space, etc.) in half compared to single-sided printing.

If you regularly send or receive faxes, nothing beats a multifunction printer with builtin fax support (not even PC-based fax software). Some multifunction printers (such as my Brother color laser) even support sending faxes via the printer directly from your PC/laptop by way of an added printer driver (available from your PC's printer list).

If you go the route of a color laser printer, it is often worthwhile to go ahead and purchase an extra memory module to upgrade the laser's internal memory to the maximum supported -- especially with multifunction printers. The added memory expands the printer's capabilities sufficiently that you are unlikely to ever run out of memory whereas the base memory can often come up short when performing more advanced or demanding operations.

HTH

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
it is why I recommend getting a monochrome laser for your main printer.... Ink jets are harder to maintain and not needed for most things you print... Put the Laser on your network and everyone can print to it and cost of toner is cheaper then buying black ink cartidges for the amount of yield you get from them... As stated before I have had great luck with Brother laser printers the only problem I have had was my fault running labels it my old printer and they came off and got stuck on the drum... I leave the labels to a cheap toss way ink yet and invest you money in a laser that will last for a good long time

I've owned many inkjet printers over the years (going back to the early 90's) and never found any of them to be 'difficult to maintain'. Just insert a new ink (or ink/printhead depending upon brand) cartridge when you run out of ink. Black toner is only cheaper than black ink if you limit yourself to the dirt-cheap giveaway inkjets with their tiny 7ml ink cartridges. Purchase a better quality inkjet and the per-page cost of ink will be the same or less than that of a black toner cartridge.

With ANY laser printer, label sheets should only ever be run through the printer once (while they are still a solid sheet) and it is best to feed them through with the manual feed slot (not the paper tray) to minimize the sharp bends the label sheet must take. It is also critical that the labels be specifically designed for laser printer use as some labels (such as those for inkjets) sometimes contain special coatings that will melt and destroy the laser printer's fuser assembly.

If one regularly prints only partial sheets of labels, this task is best left to an inkjet printer -- the cooler temperatures are more conducive to label reuse and don't press curls into the sheet the way a hot laser printer will. It is also advisable to draw used lables off the bottom of the sheet to minimize the number of edges that can catch and peel off within the inkjet printer. As with the laser printer, label sheets should be fed to the printer using the manual feed slot (rather than the paper tray) to reduce the number of sharp bends the label sheet is subjected to. It is still a technical no-no to reuse label sheets in inkjets, but the cooler temperatures of an inkjet make it a much more forgivable environment and much less prone to peeling off labels.

If one regularly prints single labels, it is best -- and safest -- to invest in a dedicated label printer as they are designed specifically for that sort of use. Their per-label cost is greater than that of sheet labels, but they do not run the risk of self-destruction from labels peeling off within the printer as can occur when sheet labels are reused (one destroyed printer quickly covers the higher per-label cost of the dedicated label printer!).

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
color laser that is a tool gloat .....drool ..... :tinysmile_tongue_t:.... drool..... drool.....:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

:rolf:

12,000 printed pages and 3000+ scanned documents (and faxes) later I'm still enjoying it! It is something of a monster-MFC for home use, though. With the added paper tray it is probably about 3ft tall and both deep and wide enough for legal scanning and printing.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

Just an FYI but Epson has announced Airprint support on all newly launched models beginning this fall (54 models in all) and Canon has recently released udpated drivers for several Pixma printers that add Airprint support.

For other printers, you can add Airprint support via a Mac application (e.g. Printopia) or via Max/Linux using CUPS and DNS-SD (service discovery).

All of this information comes from the WikiPedia Airprint stub.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I guess I would go the other way, and suggest not to get an HP. We just got an all-in-one, and it's junk. After three hours on the phone to tech support to Canada, they told me they couldn't do anything else. The drivers they supply are bad, and I finally had to get 3rd-party drivers to get it to work properly. The tech support people didn't understand how the product works, either, as they didn't know that wireless networking is disabled when it is plugged to a wired network. We've also called repeatedly about the screeching noise it makes when printing and they tell us that is normal.

In the old days I loved HP printers. Now, I can't stand them.

You don't mention which model you are using... however....

If your model is one of the models that uses remote ink tanks (that is, the ink and printhead are seperate from one aother) then the 'screeching' sound you are reporting may well be the ink pumping mechanism. There is a small ink reservoir in the printhead that must be periodically topped off, when that time comes the ink pump kicks in to recharge the printhead's ink reservoir. Since you and I may have differing definitions of 'screech' I can not say for certain, but if you have never previously owned an inkjet with remote ink tanks then it would be a sound unfamiliar to those who have owned traditional ink-printhead cartridge style printers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS