Need Advice on Front door Refurb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I have a front door unit with side panels that needs a total refurb. The exterior finish has failed after neglecting it for way to long. It is, I believe, fir.

I am leaning towards paint as the finish since I think it would be difficult to erase the dark color of the original finish.

My main question is how best to prep the surface. My thought is some sort of solvent or chemical stripper and a scrubber pad due to the mouldings and carvings, but not sure what sort would work best on the side panels since they must be done vertically and in-place.

I realize that the prep is the key to a good job, so I don't mind spending the time or money to get it just right. I am trying to avoid spinning my wheels reinventing the wheel.

I've read back through the archives, but have not really found the info I am looking for. Links to web sites are always welcome.

Here is a link to images of the door in question.
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u13/gyozu/Front door/

Please let me know if further info is needed.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would use two coats of Kilz original formula and two coats of gloss oil base enamel.

Sand everything with 120 to roughen the old finish and smooth it out, I would not go all the way to bare wood. Then sand the first coat of Kilz with 180 grit to level the surface. The wood doesn't look damaged, it looks more like the finish is just worn away. That is a high traffic area and needs a long wearing finish.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I agree with Mike. Looks like the finish is UV deteriorated and is basically oxidizing away (based on the fact that none is peeling off, and the top jamb, which gets less sun, looks to be in much better shape). For exteriors, I personally have had a lot better luck with a good latex, as opposed to oil based. If moisture gets behind the oil, then it lifts the paint, causing peeling. Latex lets the paint breath in and out as moisture changes, and has much less tendency to peel.

Therefore, After sanding as Mike suggested, I would use Kilz II primer (water based) and a good gloss latex (2 coats). You can use semi-gloss if it matches existing finish, but I would stay away from flat finish, especially for a high wear area like a door.

If you decide you do want oil-based for the door (more abrasion and wear resistant as Mike stated), make sure you recoat all edges and the inside to seal it completely from any moisture to prevent the peeling problems I mentioned earlier. Recoating the inside with a clear finish like poly will be okay. You do not have to match color, just types of coating. In that case you will want to use the regular Kilz primer (oil based) on the outside, and let it dry a day between coats.

Mike's schedule will give you the longest lasting and most durable finish.

JMTCW

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS