Need a new camera - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

As I mentioned in another post, I dropped my camera (which was almost dead) and finished the job. So I'm in the market for a new one to drop. Despite the hundreds of pictures I took during the Harpsichord Project, I am not a camera buff. I need an easy to use digital camera that can take wide angle photos at a good resolution and short videos. Did I mention easy to use?

What are you all using these days?

Ernie

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Lots of options here. Canon Powershot G10 or Nikon Coolpix P6000. If you want something cheaper, consider the Fujifilm FinePix J150W, but it's not quite as good. If you want a smaller camera, the Canon Powershot SD880, Fujifilm Finepix F200EXR and Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX150 are good choices.

(Yes, I need a new camera too. So I can take pictures of projects I'm not building. Waiting for a special :))

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Check the canon SD780 IS.
It's small, 12 MP and Auto is just press the shutter for great pics. It also does HD videos.
Around $250, I highly recommend it.

This is a resized pic in Auto, the 4000 by 3000 is even better.
Swallowtail7.jpg

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Another post for Canon. I've bought four different ones for work and two for home--very durable and easy to use. The Canon "ELPH" series are a little more expensive but are smaller to fit in your pocket, take better photos and have more capabilities if you want it. (The basic auto function is point-and-shoot though.) They use SD memory cards which are universal, cheap and the size of a postage stamp. Canon also makes some of the very best professional digital cameras as well, and was also a mainstay in film cameras long before that. I don't even own stock!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I Just bought a new camera and also wanted to help a US company. I bought the Kodak Z1015 for $225. It is 10 megapixel and has a 15x zoom, plus it is fully auto or you can take control for special effects. I am pleased.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
We recently purchased the Nikon Coolpix P90. 12.1 Megapixels, 24x zoom. I bought it mainly for outdoor/action shots. I've taken some pictures of projects indoors in fairly poor lighting and have not been terribly pleased with them. I really want to take some shots of people surfing and haven't had a chance to do that yet. Still trying to figure out shutter speeds, aperture, ISO, etc. Anyway, here are a few pictures I've taken with it. The shot of the moon was on almost full zoom and was shot using a tripod and timer.

pics_027.jpg

pics_067.jpg

pics_138.jpg

pics_155.jpg

pics_175.jpg

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Check out the Olmypus Stylus Line. I bought my wife an 850 last year because it's small and very few moving parts. The main things I liked about it were that it is shock proof from a 5' fall and waterproof to 10'. With little kids I thought that would be some good features. Especially after my son had dropped my mother in law's kodak and broke it. These are readily availabe in the $ 250 - 400 range depending on models.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1365

1365_colors.jpg

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Ernie,

I assume you want something for all around use- around the house, travel, shop/project pics, with maybe occasional publication quality images. That means something easy to hold, view frame picture, and mount on a tripod- typically something bigger than a pocket camera. But not so big (and expensive) that it takes a college level course to use. The benefit of many of the upper-middle level cameras is that almost all have a fully auto point-and-shoot modes as well as advanced modes.

I would recommend anything in the Canon EOS SLR or Nikon D SLR- series with 10 - 12 mega pixels. I bought a used EOS XSi. I like it allot, but unfortunately it doesn't have a video capability.

A couple things to note- 28 mm is not wide angle in digitals- it equates to 35 mm in film, so if you want wide angle you need something lower than 28 mm.

10 mega pixels is not the same in a small camera as it is in a bigger camera. Picture quality is better in the bigger/ SLR cameras than in a pocket camera of same mp capability- something with the way they make the digital optical detectors.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The lens makes a huge difference too. Most people don't even consider the lens and it is maybe the most important feature.

I have several Canons, they are all good. My wife has a pocket Kodak and it is good, my daughter has the olympus, it does HD vid and 12 MP and makes great shots but I don't like the controls.

Look up the Canon SX 10 IS, I really like this camera, the only thing is regular TV quality video, not HD. And low light is not as good as I would like, I try to catch wildlife around the farm at twilight and I'm very disappointed about the results. But, everything else is fantastic!

5 - 100mm lens, wide angle, super macro, 20x lens zoom, lots of auto as well as total manual control.

Forget digital zoom, it's worthless, you can do better in photoshop.

lottathought

New User
Michael
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The broken camera was not a Canon was it?

There is a Canon Loyalty program...been around for years.
The old Canon camera must be broken and must be out of warranty.
(Yes..a mishap with a hammer counts as broken.)

This program allows you to replace your current Canon camera with a Canon refurbished product. The refurbished unit carries a 6 month warranty. The following models were offered as of a few months ago:

SD850 IS $150
G9 $250
EOS XT (with lens kit) $275
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SD890IS - $150
SX10IS - $200
XTi kit - $350
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Taxes extra, shipping is $10 for 2-day delivery. You must return your old / defective camera (must be a Canon). Prepaid shipping label will be provided.

Call Tech Support at 866-443-8002 or 800-828-4040 to get started.
You will need the serial number of your current camera.

I did it last year on the XT....I am VERY happy with it.
[/FONT]

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I researched every one until my eyes were as blurry as the pix from a $5.00 camera. I decided on the Canon SX10IS that Mike recommended. I was tempted by some of the more expensive cameras, but I know myself. I'd take one look at the manual and sit down while my eyes glazed over. I chose the Canon for it's wide (ok Alan, wider than normal for a Point and Shoot) lens, video capablility, and super-macro mode. I'll post my review if and when I ever figure out how to use it.

Ernie

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ernie,

I think you will love it and I really don't think it can be beat for the price.

You can PM to get my phone number and call if I can help. I don't know everything about it yet, but have made some amazing photos.

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
These options are relative to what you're trading in btw. I asked about my Canon A620 and was given the choice between an A590, SD1100 or SX110. We were forced to replace it quick, so we already upgraded to an SD1200. Great 10mp camera for under $200 btw.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The broken camera was not a Canon was it?

There is a Canon Loyalty program...been around for years.
The old Canon camera must be broken and must be out of warranty.
(Yes..a mishap with a hammer counts as broken.)

This program allows you to replace your current Canon camera with a Canon refurbished product. The refurbished unit carries a 6 month warranty. The following models were offered as of a few months ago:

SD850 IS $150
G9 $250
EOS XT (with lens kit) $275
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SD890IS - $150
SX10IS - $200
XTi kit - $350
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Taxes extra, shipping is $10 for 2-day delivery. You must return your old / defective camera (must be a Canon). Prepaid shipping label will be provided.

Call Tech Support at 866-443-8002 or 800-828-4040 to get started.
You will need the serial number of your current camera.

I did it last year on the XT....I am VERY happy with it.
[/FONT]

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks Mike - I may take you up on that. I usually figure I've mastered a camera when I find the shutter button.:BangHead:

Kerry- It wasn't a Canon that broke so I can't take advantage of the deal. Good luck with yours.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS