Neat Floors

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Recently I visited a local lumber yard to see what they had to offer. They just opened a new facility a few miles from my house, and they are still setting up parts of it. They gave me a tour of the place, in particular the owners soon-to-be office that they are working on. They have a guy on-staff who is putting this office together (wood everywhere!). Anyway, in short, these are the floors at the entrances to the office (two different entrances). Very cool!

Photo_Dec_19_5_23_14_PM.jpg

Photo_Dec_19_5_24_57_PM.jpg

Now, what was NOT cool about the place was this ridiculous price on a piece of pecky cypress (maybe 48" long!)
Photo_Dec_19_4_55_50_PM.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
So I assume those cookies are a inlay? Both of them are very cool... Pecky cypress - I see that piece as a table top flooded with bar top finish.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Yes, they are cross-slices of a log that were inlayed into the floor (using a jigsaw they told me)

Jigsaw! Maybe followed by a lot of chisel and gouge work. A scroll saw would be my guess.
But I do like the result.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Yes, they are cross-slices of a log that were inlayed into the floor (using a jigsaw they told me)
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the process and maintaining structure integrity at the same time... I assume a substrate like plywood that the flooring is laid over and the cookies glued down to it? I suppose you could jig saw each piece of flooring as you lay it down to match the profile of the cookies? Any insight into the process and making it happen?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors