NCWW mentoring network

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
All CAD entry level CAD classes should include hand sketching. You don’t have to be an artist to be able do hand drawings and sketching. It’s very helpful to learn how to place your CAD designs in paper space so they are presentable. It’s also helpful to initiate a design. Get the idea, sketch it out in rough form on paper, then refine the details with CAD. Finally convert the CAD design to a presentable drawing that can be printed, or used in electronic form to execute the design.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
All CAD entry level CAD classes should include hand sketching. You don’t have to be an artist to be able do hand drawings and sketching. It’s very helpful to learn how to place your CAD designs in paper space so they are presentable. It’s also helpful to initiate a design. Get the idea, sketch it out in rough form on paper, then refine the details with CAD. Finally convert the CAD design to a presentable drawing that can be printed, or used in electronic form to execute the design.
Absolutely.
In the case of the younger students I mentioned, the Sketchup work was the culmination of a project that began with learning how 3-view drawings work and making freehand 3-view drawings of simple objects in the room. Then moving on to creating 3-view sketches of their own design ideas that would later become the Sketchup model for printing.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The Sunny Scrollers meet every first Sunday of the month at Klingspor’s in Cary.
The Carolina Scrollers meet at the Klingspor’s Winston Salem store on the second Monday.

jgt1942

John
User
Not sure, I just got Chris Schwarz‘ book on stick chairs, reading that and thinking maybe- maybe not…

Guess I need to see more.

My daughter wants a rocking chair, I told her to get some pictures and let’s talk about it.

Right now I want to explore the options, maybe make a few and see what appeals to me.
I highly recommend a Sam Maloof rocker. When I lived in AZ, I went to the Maloof museum in CA and fell in love with the rocker. There are several excellent courses you can purchase, I have two. However I will not be building one, my current house is too full and none of my family members has room.

I have a friend who made three and did a fantastic job.

fullinception

New User
Robb
Been doing woodworking for a few years now. Started with home projects with construction lumber. When I moved into our house really started setting up a rudimentary shop.

Current interests/things to learn - anything woodturning, furniture making, milling, anything really that expands my craft.

Knowledge I have that I'm willing to share - CAD, 3D printing, and box/humidor making.

I'm located in Asheville if someone wants to do local or I'm always willing to chat, just PM me if you're interested in anything I have to offer.

JosieAtSawtooth

Josie
Senior User
Hello all,

Just wanted to chime in. The Sawtooth School is located in Winston-Salem, and our wood shop connects over 250 adult students per year with knowledgeable instructors who are excited to share their craft. I am always interested in giving woodworker's the chance to share what they can through teaching, and the variety of our instructors informs the wide variety of class offerings. Many of the instructors that teach here enjoy mentoring their students, within and beyond the classroom. Sawtooth brings a lot of beginners to woodworking for the first time, and is a great place for anyone looking to connect with others and share their skills with people who are eager to learn. Charles Lent brought up a good point about liability. Teaching for an institution like ours means that our liability insurance protects instructors. Here's a link where you can explore our summer classes and workshops: Wood - Sawtooth School for Visual Art

I'm happy to talk with anyone who is interested in teaching or learning!
Best,
Josie

wood@sawtooth.org
336-723-7395 x 1207

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I enjoyed teaching at Sawtooth. The drive is hard on me after driving to Greensboro every day. I really want to stay home on the weekends. And the classes I taught always had new people, not much chance for me to impart great wisdom in a short time of a single meeting. But fun to meet new folks and introduce them to turning. I am still torn between wanting to teach and wanting to stay home. If I lived closer I would probably be there as much as possible. Thanks for the opportunity and the privilege.

Willw21

New User
Will Whitaker
I enjoyed teaching at Sawtooth. The drive is hard on me after driving to Greensboro every day. I really want to stay home on the weekends. And the classes I taught always had new people, not much chance for me to impart great wisdom in a short time of a single meeting. But fun to meet new folks and introduce them to turning. I am still torn between wanting to teach and wanting to stay home. If I lived closer I would probably be there as much as possible. Thanks for the opportunity and the privilege.
Hi Mike, I can't send you a message but feel free to send me one to discuss the possibility learning from you. Thanks!

~Will

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi Mike, I can't send you a message but feel free to send me one to discuss the possibility learning from you.
Will, you now have the necessary permissions to start a conversation with any members. If you hover over someone's name, the option to 'Start Conversation' should be available to you.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS