NCWoodworker Advanced Pen Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, I think the course went pretty well. All three students did excellent and everyone went home with their project pen complete and looking good. We covered casing pens, various techniques, resin casting, dyed pens, segmented pens, custom centerbands, CA finishing, the 3 step finish method, and even covered turning a corn cobb pen. It was a 4 hr class with an hour lunch that gave us a chance to meet up with Monty (Insomniac). Cathy, Clay, and Brandon were the studnets. So now for the pictures. :)

Here are the three hard at work turning the insert for the casing.
Threeamigos.jpg

Here is Brandon very focused.
brandonworking.jpg

Cathy working hard.
cathyworking.jpg

Clay looking very intense.
Clayworking.jpg

And of course you have to have a final pic with the students holding their completed projects. Gotta have this one. :)
completed.jpg

It was another great NCwoodworker Saturday.
:-D :-D :-D

Thanks,

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome and great pics, wish I could have attended but I have to finish some X-mas presents before Thanksgiving so theay can get delivered. Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
What a fine looking group of students! And from the last pix, it's apparent they had fun. Congrats to all :icon_thum

Sapwood

Monty

New User
Monty
sapwood said:
What a fine looking group of students!
Yep. The only thing missing was the class clown!!! :mrgreen: Wish I could have joined you guys for the whole class, but I enjoyed meeting ya'll at lunch.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Notice the common color

That wasn't planned, but when I went to shoot the final picture I realized they all had the same colors on. They were not only good students, but well coordinated. :-D

Come on guys this one was a blast. The bottle stopper class is right around the corner! I just got the kits for the bottle stopper class today and boy are they nice.

Thanks,

John

cskipper

Cathy
What a fun class! I really want to thank John for his patience in teaching us lot of stuff in such a short amount of time. We covered a lot of topics that I wanted to learn about - the CA finish and corn cob pens to name a few, and we ended up with a cool pen. It was especially cool having the teacher and other students being part of our group. Clay and Brandon were great, and I enjoyed meeting Insomniac too! After class we went to see "the shop". WOW! I had grossly underestimated the effect. I don't have the words to describe, let's just say it's awesome!!! John - thanks again for a great day!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
The class was great. If any of you guys can make it happen, do yourself a favor and take one of John's classes. He is a great teacher. I had never even turned a lathe on before, and he got me going in about 10 minutes. I'm pleased with my pen, and now.... I want a lathe. I'll try to post a close up picture of my pen sometime this week. Brandon made a pen out of what we termed "mystery wood". We didn't really know what it was, but I think it had the best looking grain and finish. Cathy and I used mesquite.. or however you spell it. They are pretty sharp as well.

Thanks John!

cskipper

Cathy
John - just to follow-up - I checked my chuck and it is a Nova Midi. (I know that falls into the realm of so???? but we had discussed it so I wanted to close that loop).

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
It was definitely an awesome class. Now I have something else to add to my wood working addictions. I guess this will never stop.

DavidF

New User
David
Nice job guys and Girls, well done John for giving your time.

So what' next on the "mentor" list?

woodguy1975

New User
John
Bottle stopper turning!!!!!!!!! Next weekend if it happens. :)

We'll get some official NCWW courses in my shop after the first of the year. I already committed to doing the Klingspore's courses so that is all I can aford to give in time right now unless someone in interested on cabinet making or table saw motor replacement. I've got lots of that going on :)

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS