NCFS Turners November Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
The November meeting of the NCFS Turners has been canceled as many of our members will be attending the VA Turners Symposium and supporting the NC Furniture School's exhibit booth. Our next meeting is Dec 1.

TonyC

New User
Anthony
Hi. I am new to ncwoodworker.net and found your announcement about turning meetings. I can't make the Dec.1 meeting but I am interested in others. I do not have a lathe yet but intend to soon. I am looking for help in deciding what to buy, and which lathes are capable of making up to 10 inch Diameter bowls. Do you have demonstrations at meetings or where can I go to try out lathes? I live in Winston-Salem.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Anthony,
I have the Nova Comet II lathe, and it allows for a 12" diameter over the bed. Most of what I have done is smaller. I live in King if you want to come over sometime to check out the Nova.

When we do our Outreach events, we demonstrate small, quick to turn items. We will be at the Klingspore Winston Salem store on Dec 8, come on out and chat/visit, but we will not have our trailer and lathes.

Klingspore's may have some lathes available for demo/trials, you would need to visit their Winston store and see what they can offer you.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
TonyC
We are planning a "You Turn" session on ornaments, Dec 1. We had the demo at our last meeting for this. We'll be working in the NCFS Training trailer on eight Rikon lathes. Participating members will bring their own tools and safety gear and we'll be 'helping' each other. When we meet inside the school, there are Nova, Jet, Harvey, Rikon, and Robust lathes available to test 'drive' as well as a variety of chucks. The NCFS features EasyWood tools and you may find other brand names available. I usually bring a Sorby or two, and a Thompson, a Hunter, maybe a Frog, and some Woodcraft tools depending on what the 'assignment is for the meeting

We haven't set any agendas for 2019 yet.

If you want (private) lessons-in Ayden or Winston Salem, contact Stuart Kent at the NC Furniture School. If you want to learn with the rest of us, join us at a meeting. Stuart can also discuss lathes and tools. The good folks at Klingspor also have classes and turning expertise on staff.

The Rikons will turn a 10" bowl, OBTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS