NC Maker Faire 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Has anyone thought about having a booth at NC Maker Faire this year (Saturday Jun 15)? Seems like it would be a good fit for NCWW Outreach since it's less of a craft show and more of "this is how you do stuff" event. There wouldn't really be enough time for people to complete projects, but giving people a few minutes to make a few cuts with a lathe or scrollsaw might make woodworking feel like a more obtainable hobby.

2013 Maker Faire Application

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Absolutely must do!

Thanks Manfre, I think this is just the kind of promotion we need to present the Outreach program to the most people for the greatest impact.

I would certainly volunteer to work the booth.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Always meant to go to one since it moved into NC, but never made it. This would be a good excuse to attend. I could man the booth for some period of time.

- Ken.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Having been to these, here is my perspective. The organizers of this fair and the participants are looking for folks that can demonstrate unique products or processes. The crowd will want to see or participate in what we have to offer. Teaching basic woodworking skills, even with our mobility just is not that unique - but our ability to teach physically challenged is unique and if we could demonstrate that aspect we could draw some real interest and very possibly gain some new members that want to help us and also get some great leads on future students.

I do not see how we could have the general public doing any hands on as we would not have the time to properly train them on how to safely do this. In our normal training classes we review both general shop safety and machine specific safety and I that would be very hard to do at a fair.

If we were to have both a lathe and scroll saw setup and had NCWW demonstrators sitting in wheelchairs using only one arm, we would generate interest and if a wheelchair bound spectator ask to try we could then take the time to train them properly and let them try.

Both Bill and myself are somewhat overextended during May and June, if somebody would like to pull a team together I would be willing to get a couple of wheelchairs and help you plan this. Somebody on the team would need to go to Liberty and pick the trailer up.

I agree this would be great PR but we must do this carefully

phil

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Ok, we need to do this. My husband just bought a truck and can tow the trailer. Silly stuff can be made. Key fobs, a slab with holes for tea lites, pens. Get the application sent. We need volunteers. Lets go gang! GET IT DONE!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If we're just setting up a single lathe and scroll saw, we probably don't need to haul the entire trailer to the event unless they're going to let us bring the trailer into the arena as we did at the Klingspor Extravaganza. We can probably fit what we need into a pickup or the back of my SUV for that matter.

We would need to be very organized about what we'll be doing and what supplies will be needed, but it seems for this venue that is important anyway.

It will not be a given that if we decide to go, that we will be accepted by the organizers. We need to convince them via the application process that we will be entertaining enough and interact with the crowd enough to be accepted.

It will take a good wordsmith to fill out the application.

Just some thoughts and observations. I would still like to participate and can be the lead if needed since Phil and Bill seem to be pressed for time in June.

- Ken.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I count 3 'Sure Volunteers'. I say that means we are gonna do this. Ken, can you see if a board member can fill out the forms for us? Ken or Bill can we have an event at your shop to prepare for this?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Ken or Bill can we have an event at your shop to prepare for this?

Berta, I'm happy to make my shop available for the volunteers to get ready for this. The only Saturdays I have open before this event are May 25 and June 1. The Outreach trailer will be in use every other Saturday. Let me know if you want to come either of those two dates.

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just FYI. When this first came up, I used the "contact" feature on their web site to ask about the nature of this event. I had heard it was mostly high-tech, and wanted to know a little more. Here is the response I got from the organizer.

It's a good mix and getting more-so every year -- and that's very intentional. I'm personally trying very hard to diversify the event as much as possible to include Makers of all stripes. Last year we had high tech, but we also had the NC Woodturners Guild, beekeeping, Historical Recreations, model railroading and jewelry-making. The emphasis is on groups that want to teach people to make rather than simply consume no matter what the kind of making. This year we'll be including a blacksmith group as well.

Kevin
Kevin N. Gunn
Maker Coordinator, Maker Faire: NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS