NC controlled SawStop

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
First I was like why would I need that? Then I was like, it would be nice to easily set the blade angle. Then I was thinking about all the times I had to painstaking setup for a shaker door…only to realize I forgot to make a piece, or screwed one up (and had to do it all over again). Then I was like, I think I need this.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am totally impressed with this techno-saw as well as the creative expertise of the developer; but I think all of the techno-wizardry would be lost on me. The first time the system experienced a "bug" (sooner or later all such systems will have a "bug") I would be pulling my hair out trying to deal with the programming glitch that caused the problem. The older I get the more I appreciate simple. That said, as soon as one of you get one of these machines, I would love to see it in action!

Last edited:

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I wish him luck, its a really impressive proof of concept. Hes spent a huge amount of time and money developing that!. I dont see a need for the entire package, but I think a NC controlled fence could possibly have a market. The other axis, especially tilt are susceptible in my experience to sawdust as far as movement goes. I cant imagine how big the stepper would need to be to rotate my PM2000. It regularly gets sawdust buildup and has issues, but I dont do any overhead dust collection either. All that being said, there are people out there that have to have all the gadgets so there would be a market but small, Id guess.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I think I know what might happen with me. I have two drill presses, an massive old Delta and a new Nova with all the fancy electronic controls. When I first started using the Nova in the woodshop I got familiar with all the new controls and used them for a short time. But over the past several years I haven't used them at all. I usually forget how to set them or just don't want to take the time. I now just use the adjusting nut manually etc. just like the old Delta in the auto shop. I do use one of the 4 programmed speeds but that is it.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Very impressive and a great innovation for a production shop environment.

For me, I'd want a positive lockout system to prevent unintended movement during cuts and as a hobbyist, getting to that level would be cost prohibitive. I'm too cheap to even buy the sawstop itself LoL.

cfield60

jeff
User
Looks like a gimmick that would be expensive to purchase and expensive to repair. I have heard that Festool owns SawStop so go figure. The germans have a way of over-engineering the simplest of things.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Looks like a gimmick that would be expensive to purchase and expensive to repair. I have heard that Festool owns SawStop so go figure. The germans have a way of over-engineering the simplest of things.
Don’t think it’s fair to call this a gimmick…
of course it’s expensive, beyond the means for most woodworkers, but not a gimmick. I guess some may think Festool stuff are gimmicky. Not me, they are worth every penny. I have both sawstop and Festool products. They are engineered well and are very sturdy. I have a business and use them a lot and they have paid for themselves.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can see a use case for fence settings and setting blade height for dado/rabbets.

This is not on the market, it's one guy's work to make something that works for him. He may be offering kits in the future, depending on demand.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Ultimately a reliable and repeatable version will developed. Any business with fair volume and repetitive jobs would be interested in this. It would allow them to hired less experienced operators and reduce setup time.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Ultimately a reliable and repeatable version will developed. Any business with fair volume and repetitive jobs would be interested in this. It would allow them to hired less experienced operators and reduce setup time.
I'd have to totally agree on this. That guy is basically making the prototype that will be copied and sold to businesses and consumers in the years to come.

teesquare

T
Senior User
One has to wonder....at what point with "I made this" lose all practical definition? If we continue to automate every process in home woodworking shops....when should we re-define this hobby/industry as "hand glued" or "hand nailed"? I am not being a curmudgeon...I too think it is "cool". But - it also further lessons the need for skill and human involvement in the process of creation - and emphasizes computer skills....all in the name of progress!:D

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chalk it up to the strive for perfection in woodworking...He indicated the router was also to be controlled, but I see that as the wildcard. The TS blade, once dialed in, that can be tracked to 0.001. But router bits come in all shapes/sizes. He may have a plan to use a probe to zero the top of the router bit.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
One has to wonder....at what point with "I made this" lose all practical definition? If we continue to automate every process in home woodworking shops....when should we re-define this hobby/industry as "hand glued" or "hand nailed"? I am not being a curmudgeon...I too think it is "cool". But - it also further lessons the need for skill and human involvement in the process of creation - and emphasizes computer skills....all in the name of progress!:D
I AM a curmudgeon but I have to disagree as Ive told others on other sites. In particular the use Of CNC in woodworking. Are they for everyone? no. Can they remove or change how a "woodworker" does things? Absolutely. It is merely another tool in the toolbox. In the wrong hands, useless, in the right hands, irreplaceable. Can it save time and laborious work, definitely. For instance, I rarely plane lumber anymore. I will joint my boards and glue them up and then load them on the CNC to flatten the glued panel on both sides. So, why not cut the profile perfectly while its on the machine?. Want to make a large edge curve? Piece of cake. I use mine to cut complete 4x8 sheets of plywood cabinet parts as well as 3D contouring. Im not a fan of all the "woodworkers" whove popped up creating 3D harley emblems with dragons and flames from purchased files online. Those machines will be a dime a dozen soon. But a CNC router in a shop requires a new skill set as well as wood working to build something, its just another tool.

Last edited:

teesquare

T
Senior User
It is great to have choices. And options. And machines to do all of the work we once called...."hand-crafted". That definition has faded and morphed into something completely different and new. Not bad...or good - IMHO. Just different. It does however - make me appreciate and respect more the older more manual methods of making things in a time before as much automation.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS