Name for these? (Twist-in T-track bolts)

Scott H

Scott
User
I spent some time on the grinder this morning modifying a normal "toilet bolt" style 5/16" T-track bolt into one that can drop/twist in anywhere, without having to slide in from the end, but then they will not rotate out of the slot again while you tighten a nut, knob, etc. on it.

Does anyone know if these are just sold anywhere?

They probably don't have as much contact area on the T-track as some things but it can't be much worse than, like, 1/4"-20 hex heads are.

Attachments

• IMG_4825.JPEG
    IMG_4825.JPEG
    508.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4826.JPEG
    IMG_4826.JPEG
    789 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4827.JPEG
    IMG_4827.JPEG
    625.2 KB · Views: 118

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Woodworkers supply, Amazon and others seek a variety of these. Depending on the track , some are actually designed to accept a regular bolt head. Just measure the openings so you know what you are working with

Scott H

Scott
User
@Oka Well, I do appreciate it, but while I am able to find LOTS of T-track bolts everywhere, from what I am seeing they are all designed to be slid in from an open end on the T-track, not dropped in anywhere, and I haven't seen any yet that have the locking feature where only 2 corners of the head have a radius, either. I am just not really sure what the right search term is for those things.

I did just find out they make them for 80-20 and call them "drop-in studs" so maybe I will look around to find some with dimensions that work in more typical woodworker T-track.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Scott H
I think they are "drop-in T-bolts"
8020 makes a style for their extrusions (likely too thnk for your track)

Here is the search I did: drop-in t-bolts - Google Search

I found one like your (thin head with two opposing corners clipped) but I can't find it now...

These are somewhat available, but I think the thread will be too short: Drop-in Channel T-Bolt Anchor M8 - 1.25 Source???

Taytoolsoffers some standard ones, but it might be worth a phone call or e-mail to see if they have sources for what you are looking for: Google Image Result for https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DF4AAOSwv4BgsVg8/s-l1600.jpg

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Scott - for What it’s worth, I tackled the problem in a slightly different way. I installed my T track in 1 foot sections creating a gap every 12 inches (I purchased the track cut this way from AMZN).

-Mark

Scott H

Scott
User
Thank you @Hmerkle that is definitely giving me some more terms and places to look!

And yes thank you @mkepke that is an idea I am toying with also -- One of the use cases is for putting hold downs or stops in the the T track used for the fence on my long grain shooting board, without taking the whole fence off, so there's not a ton of real estate to play with, but I could probably make something work without removing too much material.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
If you dont really need to drop them in anywhere, but just need a starter position (per your second photo) ---

Attachments

• T-Track.jpg
    T-Track.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 97

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Like others have said, a drop-in hole at the end of the track or in the middle somewhere (grind away the track flange in that spot). I make my own using a grinder and a carriage bolt.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I spent some time on the grinder this morning modifying a normal "toilet bolt" style 5/16" T-track bolt into one that can drop/twist in anywhere, without having to slide in from the end, but then they will not rotate out of the slot again while you tighten a nut, knob, etc. on it.

Does anyone know if these are just sold anywhere?

They probably don't have as much contact area on the T-track as some things but it can't be much worse than, like, 1/4"-20 hex heads are.
I think your solutions is as good or better than anything available. It has become clear that to be a woodworker, you need to be a metal worker.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think your solutions is as good or better than anything available. It has become clear that to be a woodworker, you need to be a metal worker.
Woodworking is, indeed, 90% metal working. Sharpening, aligning, jig making. It all comes into play.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
With a plunge router, a jig, and a carbide bit you could quickly make access slots in Tee track anywhere along it's length.

Scott H

Scott
User
Lot of really good ideas in this thread. I am going to have to keep all of these in my back pocket for projects with T-track.

This project has a fence that has to be able to lock in at any position so I'm not sure I can remove the T track flanges in the middle but I like that idea in general. Might have enough space to remove a little material at the ends, I will have to see if the dimensions allow for it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors