N. Raleigh in the Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
Hey Sawdust makers!

I'm getting back into the shop! Over the past 3 years, I've been building my shop, as I have the time and money to put it together. I've just finished my first big project in my shop, and I'm eager to build more. In my adventures of creating saw dust, I thought it would be good for me to get connected with others who have a similar passion.

My name is Jay. I'm a Youth Pastor at a church in Raleigh, which takes up a majority of my time. But on my days off, I have a desire to get back in the shop and make things. My experience in woodworking comes from my time in college, where I was lucky to be able to minor in Wood Furniture design. Under the direction of Bernie Maas, he taught me valuable skills and how to's. My passion for woodworking specializes with hard wood furniture, especially concentrating on jointery.

I'm looking forward to learning from many of you here, and possibly help others out if I can.

Speaking of my first big project in the past month, I built a Daybed with a Roll Out Trundle. I saw a picture and developed plans, which I'll share when I'm able to sit down and write it all up. It's a Single Bed, that rolls out to a king size. My wife and I decided it would be the perfect piece of furniture for when relatives come to visit. Let me know what you think. Enjoy.
View attachment daybed1-main-frame.jpegView attachment daybed2-mainframe-slats.jpegView attachment daybed3-progress.jpegView attachment daybed4-finishing.jpeg

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Welcome! That is a cool design; it took a couple of tries to get my feeble mind to figure it out. The frame is interleaved and extends, right? So you can have double the sleeping space plus drawers underneath. Very clever and very well executed. :icon_thum

toolferone

New User
Tom
I like it. What stops the pull out from pulling out to far? I assume the slats need to stay supported near the end of the travel.

Oh, and welcome!

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Jay,

Welcome to the site. You have mastered one of the most important skills on the forum, you have posted pictures. We really love pictures.

The bed is very interesting. Is it your design?

Steve H.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
Welcome! That is a cool design; it took a couple of tries to get my feeble mind to figure it out. The frame is interleaved and extends, right? So you can have double the sleeping space plus drawers underneath. Very clever and very well executed. :icon_thum

I like it. What stops the pull out from pulling out to far? I assume the slats need to stay supported near the end of the travel.

The Trundle pulls out like a giant drawer, interleaved is a good word. The trundle front supports the weight on the front of the bed when closed (as a single bed) and the rear of the trundle supports the weight of the front when fully extended as a King.

I'll get the plans together and post when i get a chance.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
Hey All, thanks for the welcoming! I look forward to getting to know you guys!

Jay,

Welcome to the site. You have mastered one of the most important skills on the forum, you have posted pictures. We really love pictures.

The bed is very interesting. Is it your design?

Steve H.

The only thing I saw similar was from Ikea, but then drew up plans and figured out the mechanics. As the Ikea version had metal fabricated parts, so I just figured out how to make it on my own.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jay, welcome to NCWW, and thanks for starting off by posting pix of a great project.

Very innovative and practical project; thanks for sharing.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very impressive design, the mechanical aspect makes my head hurt :) Especially with the inclusion of drawers in the bed. It looks great!

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to our sawdust pile Jay, glad you joined in. Like others have said, we like pics here, so thanks for posting and the bed looks good.

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome~ What an absolutely wonderful idea - I've got to show that to the LOML. It will be the perfect solution for us on those occasions when we have company too! Glad you joined us and thanks for sharing your idea.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
Just wanting to say again, thanks for all the welcomes, hellos, and nice pics! Possibly this weekend, I'll work on digitizing those plans for the bed and working on a unique shelf project. Speaking of which, educate me a little bit. When sharing a project, where's the best place to do that? Ie, which forum is best to post those things?

Skip2mylue

New User
Heather
What an intriguing design! You're passion shines through your work!! Can't wait to see more!
If you ever need a good, local source for lumber, check out Anchor Hardwoods-- also located in North Raleigh.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
What an intriguing design! You're passion shines through your work!! Can't wait to see more!
If you ever need a good, local source for lumber, check out Anchor Hardwoods-- also located in North Raleigh.

I'll have to check out Anchor Hardwoods! Thanks for that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS