My wife wanted a bench ...

JeffH

Jeff
Senior User
... with a simple design but really nice wood. (She also asked for it by the end of last January, but that didn't happen.) Anyway, it's finally done -- 48" long, curly maple and Bolivian rosewood. This has got to be the most expensive and heaviest bench ever. The design is a composite of some pieces I've admired.

WindowBenchA2-800.jpg
WindowBenchB2-800.jpg
WindowBenchC2-800.jpg

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Outstanding design and wood selection. If however, she is not happy - I will be glad to take it off your hands! :cool:

JeffH

Jeff
Senior User
Beautiful work Jeff. How are the legs attached to the seat?
bobby g
Floating tenons. Cutting across this crazy maple grain with mortise and bench chisels gave me some headaches, but I got there with a little help from a drill press on the legs -- that rosewood is hard stuff. Each night, I dreamed of owning a Domino. :)

ssmith

New User
Scott
It looks fantastic. The design is very clean but interesting, and the wood gives it a lot of character. Nice job!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Floating tenons. Cutting across this crazy maple grain with mortise and bench chisels gave me some headaches, but I got there with a little help from a drill press on the legs -- that rosewood is hard stuff. Each night, I dreamed of owning a Domino. :)
Plunge router, up cut carbide spiral bit, and template guide is what most in the real world use instead of a Domino. Dominos are nice, but size of loose tenon is very limited. Recently repaired an almost 100 year old table with loose tenons which were 5/8" wide. Don't think Dominos come that big.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Gorgeous Jeff. Just a very eye catching blend of wood and techniques that will keep the wife happy until the next requested piece :)

JeffH

Jeff
Senior User
Plunge router, up cut carbide spiral bit, and template guide is what most in the real world use instead of a Domino. Dominos are nice, but size of loose tenon is very limited. Recently repaired an almost 100 year old table with loose tenons which were 5/8" wide. Don't think Dominos come that big.
That's true -- these tenons were bigger than the Domino sizes. With those I would probably have used two tenons on each leg.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS