My restored Shopsmith 10ER

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornbread

New User
Eddie
Here is my before and after of my Shopsmith 10ER. I have sentimental reasons for keeping this as I am the 3rd generation owner of this tool. I have since also replaced the stand it's sitting on. The black rails are not spray paint, but are a dry film lubricant powder coat. I disassembled the entire tool and had it powder coated, except the motor it got a coat of spray paint. The dry film lubricant slides like butter... almost too easily. Aluminum parts just got cleaned up and waxed.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• ShopsmithBefore.jpg
    ShopsmithBefore.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 537
  • ShopsmithAfter.jpg
    ShopsmithAfter.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 488

MDWine

New User
Michael
I have a Shoppy 510, and love it.
I really enjoy seeing the old models restored.

Yours looks fabulous! Well done sir.

ednl

ed
Senior User
Great job on your 10-er. Mine was manufactured in 1950. I bought it in 1982 from the original owner. Came with the jigsaw and tons of accessories, shaper bits, router bits, and lathe chisels. I use it very regularly as a lathe. Fantastic machine. If you're ever in the triangle area, you're welcome to stop by and see it. I have an old Rockwell jointer and sanding center I've restored as well. Love the old iron. Still in daily use.

DSC003622.JPG

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Great job on the restoration.

I also have a 10ER. I use it mostly as a lathe, never as a table saw (it's scary dangerous). It was nearly useless until my son made me some new lock pieces out of brass to lock the head, spindle, and carriage in place. The original cast aluminum or pot metal pieces didn't hold well at all. Making new ones from brass solved the problem. I can even tip it up for use as a drill press without worry of anything sliding. It makes an OK lathe and drill press, but I already have two good drill presses. If I used it more than about twice a year I would want a better lathe. My 10ER is painted a dark metalic blue, but otherwise looks much like Ed's above. I have the cast iron pulley cover though, not that I use it much.

The 10ER wasn't made by the present Shopsmith Company. It was made my Magnus, Inc, who later sold the rights to the present Shopsmith Company, who then completely redesigned it but kept the original multi purpose design of it. Parts for the 10ER are only available from local machine shops, but the present Shopsmith Company wants nothing to do with it. They will send out a reprint of the manual for the 10ER if you ask, but no parts of the newer Shopsmith models fit the 10ER.

Charley

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Great restoration. I still miss things about that old machine. My Mom got my Dad one for a wedding anniversary in 1948. I inherited it and used it to make a lot of things when I first got into woodworking. Below is that 10-ER in my shop in 1973. I finally traded it off in 1982 for a small metal lathe. Still have and use the lathe.

attachment.php

Attachments

• shopsmith - 1.jpg
    shopsmith - 1.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 235
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors