My new adjustable length log arch

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
:D Hi All, hope everyone is doing well and in good health. I know this isn't wood, but it's gonna help me get logs so I can make wood. I am getting so close to being finished with my new log arch, it's driving me crazy. Really,... I think I could walk that far. This arch will haul logs 32" X 20' long completely off the ground. Here are some pix. There is still some detail work to be done, example, still need to blow holes for the hitch pins in the backbone and weld some chain hooks on it in a few places and mount the winch and rigging. BTW I got the 2 speed 3200lbs. winch for $50.00 bucks regular $79.00 :eek: Looking for suggestions on mounting the winch, side mount or top mount? Top mont means you have to have sheaves to re-route the cable, or let it twist around the backbone. Side mount that isn't an issue. These pix really don't do it justis. It's stout!! 8)
Zi6_0844.jpg

In this pic you can see the sleeve that the backbone goes thru. It's 3' long.

Zi6_0847.jpg

In this pic you can see the markings where the holes go to set the arch at different lengths.

Zi6_0848.jpg

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice progress so far, Randy.:icon_thum Bet it will git 'er done!!!

When you get finished, Mike Davis needs you to build another one for him too!:gar-La;

bluchz

bluchz
User
Now to make life simpler, can you figure a way to make the winch work from the PTO on the tractor?

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Now to make life simpler, can you figure a way to make the winch work from the PTO on the tractor?

:rotflm: PTO,... Tractor,...??? I'm pulling this with my 4x4. However,... I did make it so the tongue is adjustable for my 4x4 and my pick up too. I have no fear of pulling a log down the road with it. I would never go hiway or anything like that, but secondary roads,.... it has to be done. Thats why they make them bright triangle signs ain't it??? :gar-La;

jhreed

New User
james
I would add a gusset where the spine turns down to the hitch. I used something similar to roll burial vaults over the grave and lower them in.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Yeah james, I'm gonna have 1 1/2" tube braces runnning from the end of the sleeve for the backbone to the mid points of the uprights. That way I can still adjust the arch position and I'll still have room at the front of the arch for the front half of the log. Othewise it puts me back to skidding logs,... I don't want to skid logs I want to haul them free of the ground altogether. If I go from the sleeve that isn't an issue.
Thanks Randy.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Can I borrow that?

Thanks

:gar-Bi Let me load/road test it first Jeff :gar-La;. I'd hate to loan it to you and then it comes apart killing 9 and YOU going to jail. :rotflm: I still got some welding to do ,put some kickers in, lifting handles at the tongue, short chains, some with hooks, some without etc,etc. This thing is unreal ez to move around by hand even being made from 1/4" x 3 1/2" square structural steel tubing. With a handle it will be too EZ, might need breaks, :rolf: .

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
:D !!! UPDATED !!! Ok, here we go!!! This bad boy Rocks!!! I truely believe the good Lord had something to do with the building of this arch,.... it does things we didn't plan on and there GOOD things. :lol: For one, you can adjust the arch position on the backbone using the winch. Works either way. Another thing is, even with this log on it,... I uncoupled it from the 4x4 and it didn't fly up,.... I lifted up and it is balanced absolutely perfect. That isn't in me! I will give it to the Lord. It is just so unreal how good this thing works :lol: The rachet straps are just there to give a little guidance on it's maiden voyage, :lol: Not to support the weight of the log. The arch supports the full weight of the log. If you start putting the load on the rachet straps, it add's tongue weight. The pic with the log on the arch,... the arch is set at the 6' setting of the backbone to haul 12' logs. If the arch is moved to the end of the backbone you can haul 20' completely off the ground. I love it.
Zi6_0883.jpg

The winch is a 3200lb. 2 speed winch. Reg. $79.00 on sale $49.00 Works like a dream.
Zi6_0884.jpg

Here, it is set up with the tongue set for the 4x4.
Zi6_0887.jpg

Here, it is set up for the pickup.
Zi6_0885.jpg

All rigged up.
Zi6_0886.jpg

It works!!! :lol: 8)
IMG00134-20100219-1743.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
They say genius is 1% inspiration & 99% perspiration. Looks like you did a lotta sweating over getting that thing right. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up
What? No paint?:gar-La;

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
They say genius is 1% inspiration & 99% perspiration. Looks like you did a lotta sweating over getting that thing right. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up
What? No paint?:gar-La;

It's coming,... I got all the welds grinded and bondoded(sp?) gotta do a little sanding and painting and it's gonna look,... like somebody that knew what the we're doing, built it. :rotflm:

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
It really does blow me away how well it does everything I wanted it to do and more!! Juts TOO COOL. This is going to fit right into my Low Impact Logging CO-OP.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That setup reminds me of the old carriage they used for cultipackers years ago. A cultipacker was a ~12' long implement towed behind a tractor by the drawbar. It consisted of a row of tapered cylinders on a common shaft & was designed to break up clods in a freshly plowed field. Problem was, it didn't have (or need) a lift system because most farmers didn't have to take it on the road. Some guy came along & made a frame similar to yours but not adjustable. It had handwheel lifts at each end & was straddled over the cultipacker & then it was hoisted up & towed away.
Your setup looks like the perfect thing for logs. Adjustable, lightweight, and inexpensive to build.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Thanks Dennis, it did turn out much better than I expected. Even with this log,.. it was like the 4x4 hardly knew it was back there.

Hey Dennis, maybe I could help move them timbers here with it & you???

kmcardle

New User
Kevin
Wow that is neat. I would be a bit concerned about the wheels buckling under if you hit a pothole or a rock with a big log on there. I guess the trailing arms look like they should take most of the load though. Good luck. I'll have to stop down that way to have a look in person. You've got my curiosity peaked. Way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors