My latest project... a CAMERA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Well... a PINHOLE camera, that is! ;) Some leftover oak, a piece of 0.003" brass sheet stock, and some scraps of laminate to make the "springs".

IMG_6091.jpg

IMG_6094.jpg

Let's see, if my calculations are correct...

Pinhole diameter: 0.020"
Field of view: about 53°
Focal length: a little over 6"
fStop: approximately f300 (!)​

The film holders are from ebay: $5 for three of them. The trickiest part was making the back so it holds the film holder securely but changes out easily. The other "unknown" is whether I got the focal length correct -- I won't really know until I take some pictures. I've never made anything like this before so I'm sort of winging it! I started with 6", but if I don't like that I can always "adjust" it (on the tablesaw!).

I have a friend who has some darkroom equipment, and my film just arrived today, so hopefully I'll have some pics to show soon! (I know, I know... "no pics, didn't happen!" :lol: )

Monty

New User
Monty
How does the shutter mechanism work?

Hehehe... well, there is no shutter! The idea is, you put the film holder in there, pull out the darkslide which covers the film, then pull the "lens cap" off to start the exposure. Put the lens cap on to finish the exposure. I really have no idea how this will turn out, but I'm guessing the exposure time will be anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes depending on the conditions.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Okay, I'm ready. Next project... a digital camera completely out of wood. Plans... I need plans.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Monty, that is really cool. I can't wait to see what comes out of that camera, picture-wise. When I was in High School we made pin hole cameras out of Quaker Oats boxes (the round tubes) and aluminum foil for the "pin hole". I don't remember what we used for film, but the images actually came out pretty good for what the camera was made out of.

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Yoy made a cemra out of wood - how cool is that. Where's the USB port, I didn't see it.

T

toolferone

but I'm guessing the exposure time will be anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes depending on the conditions.

I would start out with still life with those long exposures.

BTW, Very cool!

Monty

New User
Monty
Yea, this ain't no point-and-shoot, that's for sure! In many ways this is experimental - everything from the dimensions of the box to the size of the pinhole. Even the composition and exposure of the photo will be trial and error - there's no viewfinder with this kind of photography! I even had to learn how to load the film, which I have never done before. This ought to be interesting! :eusa_thin

Oh, BTW... who needs USB? That's so '90's! I think maybe for my next project I'll work on a Bluetooth version! :lol:

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
cool, if your shutter speeds are in the 1-3 sec range put a peice of black paper in front of the camera before removeing the lens cap, then move the paper to make the exposure.

this will cut down on camera shake during the exposure.

on your test shots you can pull out the dark slide 1/4 of the way and expose for one second, pull the dark slide out to 1/2 way and expose for 1 second 3/4, one second, all the way, one second.

now turn the film holder over and start at 4 seconds at 1/4 of the way out...

calmp the camera down to a picknic table or something solid while doing this

then come to my house and pick up the 2 sheets of 5x7 that i sohot with my homemade cameara and have not developed yet and let me know how the came out :BangHead:

DavidF

New User
David
That is something else Monty! do you get to put a big black cloth over your head:lol: How about making one of those scary flash guns to go with it???

sapwood

New User
Roger
Unique challenge. This is gonna be verrrry interesting!

And I like David's idea of using the flash powder. Jeff's dream of a rocket may finally be fulfilled :lol:

Roger

Monty

New User
Monty
I'd be afraid of a flash like that! Don't forget - my camera is FLAMABLE!!! 8-O :lol:

To make this camera easier to use I added a couple of 1/4" x 20 Tee-nuts so I can mount the box on my tripod. This way for vertical ("portrait") orientation:

IMG_6099.jpg

... and this way for horizontal ("landscape"):

IMG_6098.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some time to try this thing out this weekend! :eusa_danc

sapwood

New User
Roger
:eusa_pray Please consider painting the outside black so observers don't laugh so hard :lol:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS