My first try at a goblet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Hi all. Had a Bradford Pear tree blow over from the storm last week so I cut it up and used a section to make my first goblet. Another first is the captive ring. Saw some turnings by Mike Mathews that had captive rings and wanted to try it myself. Used Capt'n Eddie's "Shine Juice" on it then shot it with a spray lacquer. I do not have a good method of sharpening my lathe tools yet (no jig, just a grinder) so I ended up using a scraper to hollow out the inside. Still need lots more practice with the inside, snags often. Maybe a bowl gouge will not catch as bad? Hope to order a wolverine jig in a week or so. Thanks for looking and I always welcome feedback good or bad.

Attachments

• 1st Goblet 6-24-15.jpg
    1st Goblet 6-24-15.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 1st Goblet pic 2.jpg
    1st Goblet pic 2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 180

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congratulations on both first attempts.

Captive rings are my stumbling block - I either snag the stem or the ring - one of them always blows out. Practice, practice and more practice - one day I will get there.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Very nice, and with the way Bradford Pear's fall around here you'll have plenty of wood to make a matching set!
Yes it is a fast growing weak tree, but it is pretty during the springtime bloom. I have plenty of pieces of bradford pear if anyone would like some. Just swing by Roxboro and I'll hook you up!

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Captive rings should be finished before cutting them loose. Finish the stem above them first. Then finish the ring. After the ring is loose tape it to the finished stem. Then finish the stem below the ring. Never go back to the cup or ring! A cylinder of sand paper can be taped to the stem to finish the last of ring after it is cut loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors