My first Stanley No. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Stanley No. 3 Type 16.

Wood is gorgeous. A little bit of stain on the metal on one side but just cosmetic. Japanning is very good, maybe 95% plus.

Blade is in great shape but had never been flattened. So, I flattened and honed the bevel on the DMT diamond hone, then WS 3k, then went to the Norton 8000 and stropped on mdf. Then I flattened the chip beaker on the DMT to give a perfect mating surface with the blade.

That's just plain sexy there!

IMG_27701.JPG

Tweaked the frog position a little and started shaving walnut. I love the way walnut curls when it comes off the plane.

IMG_27751.JPG

About as fine as I can get with walnut before it starts breaking apart. I believe it'll do.

IMG_2777.JPG

Chuck

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Wow, very nice! The next time someone asks why they should get a #3 I should direct them to your post. Those are incredibly fine walnut shavings.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Looks like it was worth the work you put in to get the plane tuned up. Did you need to do any work on the sole, or was that already flat?

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Looks like it was worth the work you put in to get the plane tuned up. Did you need to do any work on the sole, or was that already flat?

I didn't check the sole but made a note to check it tonight. The shavings aren't quite full width at a very thin setting. I played with the frog settings to make the frog plane perpendicular to the sides so I didn't have to skew the blade to get a wide shaving. I'd venture to sole is off just a smidge and that is affecting the cut.

I believe it is fine as is but would like to tweak it a bit more.

Will report in if I see an improvement.

Chuck

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Great job!! As for the sole being off, looking at those shavings it can't be off much. Camber or straight grind on the iron?

I should give you a :thumbs_do 'cause I don't have a #3, didn't think I needed a #3, but now I WANT A #3!

Chuck's an Enable. Chuck's an Enabler!!:gar-La;:gar-La;

Go

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Great job!! As for the sole being off, looking at those shavings it can't be off much. Camber or straight grind on the iron?

I should give you a :thumbs_do 'cause I don't have a #3, didn't think I needed a #3, but now I WANT A #3!

Chuck's an Enable. Chuck's an Enabler!!:gar-La;:gar-La;

Go

Straight grind.

As for enabling. Well, it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it. :rotflm: :rotflm:

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS