My first scrap project

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
It is a Water based acrylic finish called "Ceramithane" it is stocked by "highland hardware" it is very forgiving when brushed on and will flow out very well as it dries. It is a cross linking finish so drys hard and impermiable to water. It is approaved by the "maple flooring association" so should stand up to the rigors of coaster abuse. I have tried hot coffee cups and wet glasses - so far no problems

DavidF

New User
David
These coasters or at least another set that was destined for friends lead to a conundrum that we all may need to discuss - what do you call a project that has been scrapped that was made from scrap? I half made; got as far as inlaying one piece of BW into 8 new coasters when I realized that I had invented the first coaster that was also a hygrometer! when the humidity is high they curl up, when low they lie flat! got to be market for that?

So all eight were scrapped and I am now in the process of making 18!! new ones out of QS hard maple and starting again. The others were prettier from a grain point of view being flat sawn, but not stable enough being only 1/4 " thick.

DavidF

New User
David
I now use the Gloss and cut back to 3600 for a satin look with the micro mesh - my new best friend!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
David, those turned out very nice. I really like the way you carried the inlay design element over to tie the pieces together.:icon_thum

D L

DavidF

New User
David
Lorraine - How did I do which part? or all:lol:

With all the problems - I've made a lot now - 24 in all!!

DavidF

New User
David
Inlays are Black walnut.
I was surprised to find that although the finish is water proof, it is not water Vapour proof! I glued a cork base on to each with what turned out to be a water based all purpose adhesive and within 15 mins the maple had curled. 24 hrs later as the moisture made it's way out again they flattened. The surface where the cork was glued had 4 coats of the poly finish on. I do not believe it was any "pulling" action of the cork like a single sided veneer would cause - too much flex in the cork.

The latest QS ones are perfect.

MC - what is pentacryl?

DavidF

New User
David
Automation comes to town!

To take on Woodguy I am having a friend who just last week finished his home made CNC router make a strip of coasters with the inlay grooves cut out, just leaving me to do the inlay. A first test run that he did last night was perfect! I see a trade stand at the Farmers market coming up here:lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
David,

The coasters look great, especially like the way they match the table. :cool:

18-24 coasters and considering production runs? Forget the Farmers Market and open up a pub :mrgreen:

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS