My first ever turnings, pair of mills

photostu

New User
Stuart
Used walnut and spalted maple for the pepper and salt mills, respectively. Both mills turned out great and work as expected. I did go for the duplication and was mostly successful. The client, aka the Mrs., was happy so that's what counts! Sanded both down to 1200 grit and then finished both with 2 coats of walnut oil. This did darken the maple more that what I originally wanted, but you can still make out which is darker/lighter to know which one to use. The walnut was a lamination and the maple was a block from Klingspor's. Thanks for looking :)

20190930_113756.jpg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great start.
The vortex will never be satisfied, however.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Very nice. Be sure to put on a good finish since every body's fingers will be on them.

Roy G

I’ll second Roy’s comment and ad that they’re usually greasy, saucy, sticky and whatever fingers!

I don’t tend to use poly all that much, but a grinder (salt or pepper) gets exposed to “stuff” that seems to require cleanings that an oil finish won’t typically stand up to.

That, or maybe we’re just too hard on our kitchen ware.

JonB

Jon
User
I use General Finishes Woodturners Finish, it's a water-oil urethane hybrid. It takes several coats to build a good finish but is very durable. I have a salt & pepper mill set we've been using for a couple years and they still look like the day they were finished.

photostu

New User
Stuart
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will certainly look for a matte style final coat as I don't want gloss for these items.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS