My Craftsman TS Renovation

Status
Not open for further replies.

macr0w

New User
macr0w
Hey guys, I am kind of new to woodworking and I am just now "tooling up" a little bit.

Let me start by saying that at this point my main interest in woodworking is for making stave drums shells.

I am a drummer who like to tinker and thought it would be cool to make my own drums.

I made my first few drums on an abysmal Skil tablesaw. It is a wonder I was even able to make accurate cuts at all. I had to cheat on some of them because the saw was just doing me wrong. The deck was aluminum and wasn't even level. It had dips and leaned one way or the other depending on where on it you were.

Anyway, it was terrible.

So, I was saving up my money to try and buy a expensive (for me) tablesaw like a Grizzly or a Jet or something along those lines. I had read many articles on the internet about table saws and one thing that I kept finding was that a lot of guys had these old Craftsman 113's and had modified them to make up for their shortcomings and made decent saws out of them. Still I was focused on getting a new entry level cabinet saw.

Then I saw an old used Craftsman 113 with the cast iron top and wings on Craigslist. And to top that off it was a friend of mine who was selling it. So for $100.00 I went and got it.

Now I understand that this is not the greatest saw in the world but for me it is a big upgrade. It would be nice to have a cabinet and a good vac system but like I said, I am just getting started. Maybe one day I will step up but for now I am digging this thing.

So I started cleaning it up and bought a few parts for it right out of the gate. The top had some surface rust so I cleaned it with vinegar and scrubbed it with a scotchbrite pad. It came pretty clean just from that. Then I bought a glue line rip blade, a zero clearance throat plate and a link belt. I also read many articles saying that the fence on this thing was one of the first things guys would upgrade. Most people agree that the fence wont stay straight and is hard to move. So I was planning on buying a Vega fence for it.

I know that I will get blasted for this but I have to say that after taking the fence completely apart (and I mean every piece) and cleaning it up, lubing the parts with white lithium grease and then mounting some pvc coated mdf boards to it, using my big square to make sure it was straight and tightening it down good, this thing glides across the table. I also moved the rails over to the left, centering it on the table so I can use both sides of the blade. It stays straight and parallel with my miter slots no matter how much you slide it back and forth. I may go for the Vega fence at some point but for now I am pleased with how this thing works. I made myself a nice big push stick and I ordered new left to right and right to left tapes for it the other night.

So after making 3 drum shells I bought a big paddle switch and a featherboard just to further upgrade this thing. I also took the wings off and stowed them and the hardware for future use. When making drum shells I rarely use more than 8 inches of the deck on either side of the blade. Having the wings on there was just taking up space.

I even dressed the power cords for the motor and switch in and tie wrapped them in place. This thing is tricked out now.

Now I understand that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, and there is a point of diminishing returns with an old table saw but, I think that for my use this old saw will be good enough for the foreseeable future. If I can sell a bunch of drum shells then maybe I can upgrade to a nice cabinet saw one day. Until then I will be using this trusty old Craftsman. :D

The first pic is how I found it. The last pic is how it stands now.

IMG_0771.jpg20160616_145313.jpg20160701_181655.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
These make great starter saws. One can learn a lot about the construction and setup of the machines on these. I have never seen one on the market in this condition with a 3HP motor, though. With a motor that big, I would think it would be using a 12" blade, but it should serve you very well. I have 2 conjoined 1HP versions conjoined together with a 1.5HP motor upgrade on one side. Perhaps, one day..........

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Way to go Macgr0w. Now let us follow along with WIP in how you make your shells.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a similar saw in storage, and it's in about the same condition regarding rust. How did you use vinegar as a rust remover? On the advice of others here, I've purchased several products to remove the rust, but none of them has worked particularly well. I'm considered the electrolysis route whenever I get this thing out to where I can get to it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you for saving another "nice older tool."
GREAT job on the restoration.

I think it will serve you nicely for some time and likely you will get your original investment out of it and possibly even more!

macr0w

New User
macr0w
I have a similar saw in storage, and it's in about the same condition regarding rust. How did you use vinegar as a rust remover? On the advice of others here, I've purchased several products to remove the rust, but none of them has worked particularly well. I'm considered the electrolysis route whenever I get this thing out to where I can get to it.

Plain white vinegar will eat the #### out of some rust.

If you want to get really serious get a jug of Citric Acid Powder and mix it up with water.

Just sponge either of these on the deck and let it sit over night.

Come out the next day and it comes right off.

Citric Acid Powder can be mixed as strong as you need it to be. Plus it's non toxic.

Vinegar works but it's not as powerful. :cool:

macr0w

New User
macr0w
Thank you for saving another "nice older tool."
GREAT job on the restoration.

I think it will serve you nicely for some time and likely you will get your original investment out of it and possibly even more!

Yeah, I spent more on parts than I did for the saw. :)

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I had a similar saw and found two things you may want to consider. All the sawdust falls down on the floor under the saw and makes a mess. You might want to build an enclosure between the legs to hold the dust in. Also my motor got clogged with sawdust and stopped working. If you have an open motor, not a totally enclosed one, you may want to blow it out frequently. Other than that, it worked for my purposes just fine.

Roy G

macr0w

New User
macr0w
Yeah, you're right.

I noticed that right away.

Especially after making 3 drum shells back to back without cleaning up. :gar-La;

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
At work we have a portable Hitachi TS. It has a circular rim around the bottom of the housing, presumably to hold a drawstring bag. Food for thought........

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
These make great starter saws. One can learn a lot about the construction and setup of the machines on these. I have never seen one on the market in this condition with a 3HP motor, though. With a motor that big, I would think it would be using a 12" blade, but it should serve you very well. I have 2 conjoined 1HP versions conjoined together with a 1.5HP motor upgrade on one side. Perhaps, one day..........

I doubt it's a 3hp saw (and definitely not at 120V). Not sure why (or how it's legal) but craftsman labels some of their saws this way. That said, I think it's awesome when folks revamp an old tool. My first TS was also a "3hp" craftsman. It had it's issues, but I made lots of great stuff with it.

macr0w

New User
macr0w
It had it's issues, but I made lots of great stuff with it.

Yep, I made these 3 drum shells with it the first weekend.

Two in PurpleHeart.

And one in Wenge.

:gar-Bi

Attachments

• 20160624_201305.jpg
    20160624_201305.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 20160621_193247.jpg
    20160621_193247.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 138

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, I made these 3 drum shells with it the first weekend.

Two in PurpleHeart.

And one in Wenge.

:gar-Bi

macr0w, those drum shells look kinda thick - how think are they and do you make them thinner?

macr0w

New User
macr0w
Those pics are mid process.

I start out with 4/4" boards.

I usually go down to 1/2" to 3/8" depending on the material.

I stopped at 1/2" on these.

I started getting nervous with the Wenge. :D

Attachments

• 20160623_154735.jpg
    20160623_154735.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 112
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors