Motor problem on Drill Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilCK

Phil
Corporate Member
I purchased a Harbor Freight Central Machinery 17" floor drill press some 20 years ago under the theory that if any substantial tool could be bought cheaply, it was a drill press. I has a 1 HP rated motor and has worked fine for my intermittent use for all these years until last week.

I had attached a sanding drum and was doing some sanding and it cut off under several minutes of use. I gave it a rest, reduced possible rubbing with the table and continued. Worked but then later use it only ran for about 30 sec, then cut off. The operating time has become less and less and it works for about 4 sec after sitting overnight and a sec or less after repeated use.

Thought it might be thermal overload but it works for only a few seconds even when cold. On touch, no heat from the motor.

Has my Taiwanese motor given up the ghost after several decades of limited use? Any suggestions on possible fixed? I don't know much about the motor but I assume it is some type of capacitive start but it is starting.

Motor plate is remarkedly uninformative, not including any motor frame information, other than voltage, amperage, rate HP, rpm (1750). Nothing from the manual I found online. The model is not sold anymore but the new versions seem to be updated versions of my model.

Replace the motor? Fix it? Get it rewound? Replace capacitor? Check wiring?

Thanks for help.

- Phil

Jim Roche

jim
User
I'd say check the wiring/switch but I wouldn't have a Harbor Freight Motor rewound. I'd be more inclined to find a suitable motor off of CL or buy a compatible Leeson/motor from Northern or online. Capacitors usually fail when starting the motor..... meaning you could help start the motor by hand and it runs fine after that.

Good Luck,
Jim

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
When it stops does the motor hum or buzz or does it just stop? If it hums or buzzes then it is still trying to run in which case I would say the bearings may be locking up. If it is quiet then it is loosing power somewhere along the way. Could be a short in the wiring, the switch going bad, loos connection, ect.

toolferone

New User
Tom
Pull the belt off and run it. Is the spindle free spinning with out a belt on it? How does the motor feel when spun by hand?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you have access to an AC amp meter, check the running amperage against the nameplate rating. A significant difference is usually indicative of a failed bearing assembly.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You got 20 years out of a cheap drill press, pat yourself on the back and reward your frugality with a new Powermatic.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
You could go back to HF and plunk down about $125 for a new 1 hp motor. When I do buy a tool or motor, I take into account my remaining years, and then try to buy something that will last as long, or just a few days longer than I will. Getting so I can buy really cheap now....

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You could go back to HF and plunk down about $125 for a new 1 hp motor. When I do buy a tool or motor, I take into account my remaining years, and then try to buy something that will last as long, or just a few days longer than I will. Getting so I can buy really cheap now....
Does this mean you are no longer buying green bananas?:rotflm: A 1 HP motor on a drill press is overkill IMHO.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does this mean you are no longer buying green bananas?:rotflm: A 1 HP motor on a drill press is overkill IMHO.
I have seen Bruce eat green banannas.... just in case! :rotflm:

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
You have to have something to push that 4" Forstner bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS