Mother's Day Bowl

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I've not turned much the last few years, ok I've turned nothing the last few years.

My son is wanting to turn after taking a class at the Folk School last summer. I've gotten the garage set up more and dust collector set up so that we can turn some. I worked with him Saturday, since we are starting to wind down the soccer season. I'm proud of how well he listened and the bowl turned out.

Hoping the weather holds and we can get some more turning in this spring before the summer heat drives us out of the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_8332[1].JPG
    IMG_8332[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_8331[1].JPG
    IMG_8331[1].JPG
    2 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_8336[1].JPG
    IMG_8336[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_8337[1].JPG
    IMG_8337[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_8340[1].JPG
    IMG_8340[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 260

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't let the heat drive you away. Get a large floor fan and direct it towards the lathe and the vacuum scoop. It will cool you both and help push the fine dust towards the scoop.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
yeah i had a large floor fan for years it was too loud and my garage is too messy for it to be anything but a projectile launcher.

i'm happy to share time on the machines with him. beats video games any day of the year.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Been thinking about this thread.
Adolescence is a tough time for anyone.
When my son was that age I took him down to the lathe for a lesson on something I'd recently seen turned. An ornamental mushroom made from a tree branch. I'd cut up some branches maybe 2" diameter, 6" long. I turned an awful rendition of mushroom shaped piece of wood. I dared him to do better. He did. He then took over the lathe and the batch of branch cuttings and turned them all into mushroom shapes far better than the one I did. That was at age 13 or 14. A young man of that age needs something to define him as superior to his Dad in some way. It gave a 14 year old a great deal of self respect. He did get good at turning mushrooms and would make and sell them to his classmates or as gifts to the family. Even in later teen years, he continued with the mushrooms. Far better than TV or video games.

1 mushrooms - 1.jpg

An array of mushrooms he turned as an older teenager and young adult. this will give an idea of the possibilities. That son is 41 now and still likes turning when he can.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
yeah my boy has many things he's better than his old man at!!! He loves that he can finish a 5k in half the time it takes me! we've been doing those the last year or so. and we won't even talk about how much better than me he is at soccer.

he does well with his turning and i agree its much better than video games, although he does his share of that as well

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS