Mortiser Bit Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I was wondering about using a 1/4” or 5/16” on one of the steps on my flutes.I am drilling a small hole and using a file to make the hole square. And if I could drill at approx. 35 reg angle would be good but not absolutely necessary. Just thinking right now. And could I use a drill. I don’t have a mortising machine and never used one.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, no experience doing that but I have to wonder about blow out inside the flute and how would you control that aspect; also, would it change the scale or note sound of your flute?

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I don’t have a mortising machine and never used one.
If you ever get your hands on one you'll have a life changing experience. Have had one for around a year. Never new what I was missing.

Pop

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I “think” I can be a little careful and if I have a little tear out I have a little file which may take care of it. Don’t think I can justify a mortising machine..I love tools.Id love a milling machine lol!!!

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Does anybody happen to have any mortising bits they arent using and maybe they would sell? Or maybe a recommendation where to get good bits for a reasonable price? Mainly I would use 1/4", 5/16" and maybe 3/8".. 5/16" would be the most used one. I wouldn't be using them a whole lot. Thanks for any help!!!!

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Does anybody happen to have any mortising bits they arent using and maybe they would sell? Or maybe a recommendation where to get good bits for a reasonable price? Mainly I would use 1/4", 5/16" and maybe 3/8".. 5/16" would be the most used one. I wouldn't be using them a whole lot. Thanks for any help!!!!

Before buying any, why not first see if a member nearby who already has a mortiser would let you try your idea out, then you will know whether the idea is viable. I’d offer, but Anderson, SC, is likely too far from you, but there should be closer members I imagine.

Lee Valley used to sell, and may still, a set of mini squared mortising chisels for use in making Greene & Greene style Arts & Crafts furniture and may be of interest in your proposed application.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Good idea Ethan...And I may look at the mortising chisels too..Dont know if anyone is close to me here in the big city of Laurinburg,NC

nn4jw

New User
Jim
You'd still need to buy a mortising attachment for your drill press. The bit would not work without it. Also, mortising bits are normally used with flat surfaced solid woods, not tubes. For through mortises you generally drill partially through from opposite sides to prevent blowout and damage to the bit. Conceptually you are talking about a through mortise through a thin curved surface and trying to cut it from one side. Since the inner drill bit on a mortise bit pulls the chisel portion through the wood it's going to lose any grip it has on the wood before the chisel finishes its job, I'd think.

Before you spend any money on this idea I'd suggest you find someone with a mortiser and try it on some prepared sacrificial tube.

It might work fine if you mortised all the finger holes before drilling out the longitudinal (lengthwise) hole in the flute.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I got ya Jim.I may just get some mortising chisels.Really not a whole of wood for the mortiser bit to pull the bit through.It was good to throw this idea out there before I spent some money.I am just always trying to maybe make or come up with a better idea to make something simpler and maybe better. Thanks!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a mortising attachment for a drill that you can have. Not sure if I have the bits, may have to buy a 1/4 inch replacement bit for it.

Could you make the mortise first then drill the main tube hole?

Last edited:

Flute Maker

Mike
User
It is possible with some really good planning...which I aint good at...lolI...Ive sort of have rethought the idea. Thanks Mike

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I like those square hole punches Ken suggested. I've made a larger version by using the outside square part of a mortising bit mounted in a handle like a chisel and use it to square holes in turning tool handles.

Anyway, thinking about the square punches Ken suggested, I think you could minimize any potential blowout by simply inserting a close fitting dowel in your flute bodies before using the punch. One of those punches to experiment with seems like a reasonable risk of funds.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Gosh I totally missed those.That would be worth a good try for sure.Yes inserting a dowel inside would minimize the tear out.Thanks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS